[3830] CQ160 CW AA4LR Single Op LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 29 23:34:21 EST 2006

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA

Total:  QSOs = 301  State/Prov = 44  Countries = 3  Total Score = 30,644

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Antennas:
Shunt-fed 15m tower with 25 60 foot radials

Equipment:
K2/100 w/ KAT100 running 80 watts

Comments:

I had almost written this contest off. At the end of the NAQP Phone, my shunt
matching network was acting up, and I had to quit a couple of hours early. I had
pulled the matching network off the tower about three times in an attempt to
diagnose the problem which was causing sudden shifts in SWR with the allocation
of more than a few watts of power.

I found part of the problem - the matching coil in the L network was 46 turns on
two stacked T200-2 cores. The start and end windings were right next to each
other, and due to the auto-transformer action caused the insulation to break
down. Removing a couple of turns addressed that. However, I still had problems
so was not QRV the first night. Saturday afternoon, I disconnected the switching
relay and the caps in the box and jumpered in an external variable cap. I was
finally able to tune for a good match that did not shift away when power was
applied. This worked for the few hours I was in the contest, but it obviously
not a permanent solution.

After testing, I was tuning around about 3:15 pm local, and was surprised to
find several stations CQing - even though it was about three hours until sunset!
Worked just about everyone I could hear in 30 minutes.

I returned later about an hour after sunset. After a short S & P session, I
found CQing to be quite productive, despite only running 80 watts into an
antenna barely 1/10 wavelength long. I found three different places to CQ in the
band and was able to run at a decent rate. At one point, the rate meter
registered over 190 -- something I thought I'd never see in any CQ contest.

Did have one wierd altercation with NN3Q that I'm not sure what to think about.
I had tuned up to about 1818 kHz, and after listening, found the frequency
empty. I then put out a QRL? and no one replied. So, I started to CQ. Worked one
station, then hear someone CQing on top of me. After a minute of this slug-fest,
we're clearly both getting callers that neither of us can hear because of the
other station. So, I found I could move down about 200 Hz to give both of us a
little room - tight, but workable.

And then comes the part I don't understand. He FOLLOWED ME! Zero beat again, he
calls CQ a bit, then calls and works me. After this, he starts calling CQ again,
occasionally sending me AA4LR QSY and doing some other tricks. This really
pissed me off.

As much as I hate to reward this kind of poor operating practice, I eventually
decided to move. Not because I had done anything wrong -- but several minutes
had gone by with no contacts at all. I found another frequency a couple of kHz
up.

One thing I noticed was that stations were packed into the band pretty tight.
The K2/100 has narrow filters, so I didn't notice the guys next to me too much.
However, sometimes they'd get callers that weren't quite zero beat and so I'd
answer them, if the timing was right. I'm sure there are some NIL contacts
because of this.

Used the noise-reduction feature of the K2 during the entire contest. Normally
don't like the way this makes signals sound, but it was helpful to take out some
the hash on the band. After a couple of hours, I got used to it.

Between CQ sessions, I did get some S & P. Worked PJ2, KP4, VP9. Did not hear
any europeans. Ended up with 42 states - all but RI, VT, HI, AK, AZ, ID, MT, WY.
Not bad for five hours of fun.