[3830] CQ160 CW W8RJL Single Op LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 29 23:55:15 EST 2006

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W8RJL
Operator(s): W8RJL
Station: W8RJL

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Leesburg, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 15 hrs

Total:  QSOs = 283  State/Prov = 48  Countries = 7  Total Score = 37,015

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I was house sitting in a gated community with antenna restrictions. I put up a
160 inverted vee out the second floor window. The antenna went up after sun set
and came down before sunrise. A cold front blew through and I did not recognize
the screaching noise in my headphones as static discharge. At first I thought it
was some form of QRM. When I heard the thunder and heard the XYL yell lightning
I very quickly threw the coax out the window. I'm lucky I did not take a hit as
there was no ground except back through the power line at my second floor
temporary station. I heard stations I could not work due to the very low
antenna. The IC-736 makes a nice travel rig with its built in power supply and
antenna tuner. Ran N3FJP logging software. I did mostly S&P but did have times
when I could CQ with a rate better than S&P. I had lots of fun but the antenna
restrictions and lack of any tall trees killed me. Enjoyed working my friend
Jose KG4SB in GITMO and I did get across the pond to three stations. I'm looking
forward to the next one. 73, Ron W8RJL