[3830] CQ160 CW AC6DD Single Op HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jan 31 01:31:47 EST 2006

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: AC6DD
Operator(s): AC6DD
Station: AC6DD

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: SLO

Total:  QSOs = 815  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 18  Total Score = 229,064

Club: Slovenia Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment used:

Two FT1000MP’s, roofing filters, click mods, DX Doubler SO2R controller
ACOM 2000
DXE Receiving 4 Square
Two ~ 34’ high (Yes, that is 10 meters), ½ wavelength spaced inverted L
antennas
One 12’ long enclosed trailer
One ¾ mile long pier
Salt water

Worked all states, missed some fringe VE provinces.
DX in order worked: PJ2, KH6, KP4, KG4, KL7, HI, KP2, ZL, XE, JA, CU, UA9, JT,
UA, ZF, VP9, VK, BY

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...
Cut here for no story.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

This was again a portable operation from the end of a pier on the Pacific Ocean.
The receiving four square was mostly set up a week before the contest, the rest
of the equipment on Friday, just before the contest.

I had to leave my 90’ portable vertical at home this time, because there just
isn’t enough room for the recommended separation from the transmit antenna, and
DXE receive four square.  In the Stew Perry I used a 37’ high inverted L
attached to the pier railing, about 200’ away from the deck and receiving
antennas with good results.  I decided to add a second antenna separated 180
degrees, and phase them.  I ordered the new two element Comtek phasing box for
this purpose.  What arrived appeared to be an unfinished prototype unit. Big
disappointment, I had to pay postage to send it back. (By the way I have a 40m
and an 80m four square controller from Comtek, and they are a fine product).
With a few relays and some coax I built my own phasing unit, and bought some
ales with all the money I saved.
The two inverted L’s ended up being only 34’ tall and 100’ sloping, with one
radial each, improvised with nylon string, wire ties for insulators, electrical
tape and some other high quality materials.

After the usual exercises in trying to make things work, I was on the air only
30 minutes after the contest started.  Many US stations on the air, but
conditions just did not seem that good, with East Coast stations sounding pretty
weak.  My main handicap is unfortunately in the N – NE direction, due to 500kV
power lines.  Pretty soon it was evident that two short antennas don’t equal one
tall one, and my E-W broadside phasing (or what I thought was E-W) just did not
produce any contacts. My S&P attempts on the second radio also did not produce
tangible results.  I am new at two radios, so it was a bit of a struggle.  Some
new RFI noises also appeared, and were able to locate one problem to a bad high
pressure sodium street light, which would cycle on and off.  It had to be
eliminated on the spot.  A second noise, a total wipeout lasting only some 15
seconds for a few times every hour is still a mystery.  I might have lost a few
contacts due to this one.  But when the band opened to Japan, things started
moving.  For some reason when I switched to my E-W phasing I would get lots of
JA replies and several UA0 also called.  But switching to a pattern favoring NW
/ NE would end in no replies.  I ended with 529 QSO in the log on the first
night.

The next day conditions were noticeably worse, with some dead time.  I decided
to rethink my phasing, and sure enough, instead broadside I phased both antennas
inline (I used the wrong cable). This mistake proved to be a strike of luck.  I
worked 121 JA stations, and 7 UA0 stations (I had no idea there were this many
UA0 around) while beaming in this direction, and I was not even going to have
N-S phasing.

I was not very active lately, and I somehow missed the new and improved
operating style, when someone just sends a question mark, and than starts CQ-ing
two seconds later on your frequency.  I preferred the old way to check for a
clear frequency much better, and to my happiness some folks still use it.

The receiving four square works surprisingly well, even though it is set up
around a two story metal building and between some other metal structures.  I
think because of the metal structures, the front to back and also front to side
ratio is huge.  I probably missed some stations because I was listening in a
different direction.  The big problem with the DXE units is the separation
required from the transmit antenna.  I might add relays to short the input while
transmitting, or just try a bit taller unamplified elements, so I can go back to
a tall vertical on the deck.

I am a bit disappointed wit the 18 countries multiplier; I was really hoping for
a few more.  I think this is from too much CQ, and not enough S&P the first
night.  I have to admit the second radio was somewhat of a distraction.
Operating style is left over from last year when I had no receiving antenna, but
a decent transmit signal.  I heard around the band but not worked V2, V3 and
HS0. A big surprise was being called by RX4HZ @15:21 on the first morning.

Best results so far in this contest, but more improvements are needed.  If you
called me, but we did not work please let me know by e-mail.

73,

Niko

AC6DD