[3830] ARRL FD W5DDL 2A LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jul 3 07:03:50 EDT 2006

                    ARRL Field Day

Call: W5DDL
Operator(s): W5EW, W5ZR, W5QEP, KZ5D,N5AN,WR5U,NA5Q,K5UA,KI5XP, K5ARH, N5RLM, KB5WI, KE5DCI, KE5CKT,  K5QXJ, KE5AOF, KC5IOB, WA5TNK, ETC
Station: W5DDL

Class: 2A LP
QTH: LA

  160:
   80:   31     10
   40:  468    124
   20:  401    219      5
   15:   92     37
   10:           4
    6:
    2:           1
  222:
  432:           1
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------

With a long standing tradition of Field Day activities, the Acadiana Amateur
Radio Association set out to reinvigorate their annual entry in Field Day 2006.
 All club members’ participation in every aspect was of the utmost importance,
and this year was a resounding success.

Members and former members gathered at Gossen Memorial Park in Rayne, La. to
cheer on, support, and operate in W5DDL’s Field Day station.  Two trailers
were set up, both running from generator power, in order to protect our well
decorated list of operators from the sweltering Louisiana daytime heat and
world famous nighttime mosquito population.   Support personnel came from far
and wide to assemble antennas, raise towers, repair coax connectors, supply
food and drinks and to show our newcomers what Ham Radio was all about.  Boys
from our local Boy Scout Troop along with their leader came out to help setup,
operate, and learn about Ham Radio.  Through word of mouth and a blitz of
advertising prior to the weekend, we received guests from all over the Acadiana
area who wanted to simply visit and or operate, opening a whole new world of ham
radio to plenty of them.

W5DDL operated in the 2A class, along with bonus points earned from the GOTA
station, satellite contacts, solar powered contacts, public officials, ARRL
officials, Traffic Net participation, digital contacts, section manager
messages, public location event staging, information table, ARRL handouts, and
numerous other Field Day requirements aimed at enhancing our public awareness
and maximizing our score.

The weekend’s events were wrapped up on Sunday with a huge bar-b-que, giving
our well-deserved operators and support personnel a relaxing moment to sit and
unwind, as well as an opportunity for all club members to enjoy one another’s
company and swap tall tales.

As chairman, I’d like to thank all of our workers whose participation was
vital in our weekend event.  Those who volunteered for something did an
overwhelmingly successful job in their duties, and it showed in our successful
score and our successful weekend.  I hope that next year we’ll improve on the
things that need improvement, and increase our club member’s enjoyment and
satisfaction in a job well done!

Charlie
KI5XP