[3830] IARU K8AJS SO CW HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 9 10:21:23 EDT 2006

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: K8AJS
Operator(s): K8AJS
Station: K8AJS

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: OH

  160:   13             5
   80:   82            17
   40:  218            46
   20:  381            65
   15:   75            20
   10:   14             6
---------------------------
Total:  783     0     159  Total Score = 360,930

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Conditions about as expected for the low end of the solar cycle. I WAS
surprised, though, by small openings on 15 and 10 meters on Saturday.

The WRTC was much more evident than on some previous occasions; worked those
operators a LOT, maybe Brazil was at a good distance and direction for the
propagation.

The direction indicator on my rotor quit about a week and a half before the
contest; several trips up the tower didn't find the problem, so I rigged up a
large mirror outside the window of my shack and watched the quad that way when
I turned it. It was interesting; I found that I really liked it better than
using the indicator; I felt like I had a better "feel" for the antenna
direction and how it was working. Now I'm thinking of rigging up a camera
permanently, even after I solve the indicator problem.

I was planning to go the full 24 hours, but I flaked out at 4:00 AM, not tired,
but finding very few new stations that I could hear on any band and didn't want
to just keep poking at them for the next four hours.

All in all, it was a great contest. It will be interesting to see how everyone
did.

Rig: FT1000MP and ALS-600 amp 500 watts
Ant(s): 3 el quad, 204-foot G5RV, 160m half sloper
Software: WriteLog 10.55d