[3830] IARU W6YX M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jul 10 23:44:28 EDT 2006

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH N6DE
Station: W6YX

Class: M/S HP
QTH: CA

  160:
   80:   156    12     21
   40:   326    92     49
   20:   392   175     68
   15:   110    30     32
   10:    54    38      9
---------------------------
Total:  1038   347    179  Total Score = 777,755

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was a fun, casual operation.  We were originally just planning a low key
effort to point the beams toward Brazil to contact the WRTC stations.  But we
couldn't resist working the contest, so we put a few others in the log in
between looking for the PTs and PWs.

We had 101 QSOs with the WRTC stations.  Missed PT5I!  We should taken
inventory during the contest, but didn't.

I was CQing on 10m CW, found the band open stateside, and then found ZW5B and
PX5A, but didn't hear the WRTC guys.  I went up to SSB, called CQ and got more
of the same until a station identifying himself as PT5Q called, with a decent
signal!  I thought someone was screwing with me.  Went through the motions
anyway.  The op must have sensed I thought it was bogus, so he gave me his
exchange again, "59 15, OK?"  At that point, I knew it was real and thought
"This is SO COOL!" (and also felt like a friggin lid at the same time!)  Turns
out it was the team of W2SC and K5ZD!  Knowing the WRTC guys could hear us, I
went back to 10m CW, and called CQ.  PW5O, PT5N, PT5A, PW5D, and PT5P all ended
up calling me!  10m turned out to be my highlight of the contest!

Mike also had lots of fun: he had a dozen WRTC stations answer his CQ on 40 PH,
and another dozen on 80 CW!  Mike had a >100 hour at 3am on 40 CW.

But mostly we were S&P for the WRTC guys.  The WRTC ops were good.  Very good.
Very few repeat requests, and incredible ears.  Congrats to all the WRTC
participants.

73...
-Dean - N6DE