[3830] CQWW VHF VE3CRU/R Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Jul 20 14:32:51 EDT 2006

                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: VE3CRU/R
Operator(s): VE3CRU
Station: VE3CRU

Class: Rover LP
QTH: FN03,04,13,14

    6:  421   208
    2:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  421   208  Total Score = 87,568

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

WOW!!! What a great contest.  The first 3 hours in FN04 ran slow, as did the
last, FN13 with about 34 QSO's each on 6 only.  Left 2 at home, which lowered
my score.  In FN03 and FN14, the band went wild, and I was challenged keeping
up with the pileups using paper logging.  Took only cold water, so had time
loss for restaurants, anticipated.  The marine deep cycle batteries performed
well, running the 756 ProII, with six 28 amp SLA batteries for backup.

Leaving the farmer's field in FN03 after dark, I heard a scraping noise and
other noise in the 1/2 mile drive to the expressway, so got out on the ramp and
looked up.  The beam was spun 150 degrees, with broken tree branches on all
elements like an upside down Christmas tree.  Got on the minivan roof and
realigned it for the 30 mile (50 km) trip home.  The beam was 11' above the
road for this trip, down a foot from the usual 12.
Most of the branches dislodged driving at 75 mph.  Drove 70 miles (110 km) back
east Sunday to start in FN14.  I never operate contests while in motion as I
will not jeopardize anyone's safety, so travel time during the contest period
is also lost time.

I anxiously await the tabulation of all scores by CQ, after spending 7 hours
converting the paper log to computer entry.  Many new records will be set, due
to the great opening.  Last year I scored top in Ontario with 1,344 spending
little time on 6, so am in disbelief at the gain in my score.

Thanks to the sponsors, to all who had qso's with me, as well as others caught
in the pileups trying.  It is hoped that all contesters had as much fun too.
The high spirit of this contest will be remembered for a long time.

73,  Bill   VE3CRU/R