[3830] ARRL June VHF N8II Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jun 13 08:41:33 EDT 2006

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV

    6:  224   100
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  224   100  Total Score = 22,400

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

A frustrating weekend; running was painfully slow when the band was open
 well and often only a handful of stations were loud from unpopulated areas.
 My antenna system is poor; it interacts with the HF antennas. The first
 40 minutes, activity could only be described as frenzied with lots of 9's
 and 0's and double hop too, but I managed only about 60 Q's in the 1st
 hour. There was a lot of double hop into the Rocky mtn area, no OR or CA
 worked. I tried running high in the band, then around 50.2, then low and
 the results were pretty dismal wherever I tried. Sweeping the band for Q's
 was slow as well as it was hard to find many new stations at any one time.
 Sunday I scraped up 57 more Q's and 17 more grids which is close to a whole
 contest effort in the Sept test, but it took a lot of effort. There was a
 brief opening only to EL96 in FL and HI3TEJ + CO8DM early Sunday. The DX
 stations were not very busy. The band had been open to VE1/VE9 Sat PM and
 opened again to that area for quite a while Sunday AM with poor activity
 but 3 more VE grids. Highlights were hearing K7BG in MT on 3 diiferent
 openings Saturday, 2nd and 3rd quite loud and finding VE5UF, then
 VE6TA answered a CW CQ. PVRC'er Alan KO7X DN71 in WY was found late
 Saturday on CW along with a booming K0GU DN70 running a steady string of
 callers. Openings at times last mere seconds Sunday evening KN4Y EM70 who was
S6 on CW answered another on 1st CQ, then dropped out. N6CW DM12 was a good
solid S3 with beam at 150 deg, by the time it was turned he was S6-7, he
answered a W9 then faded to S1 rapidly. Thanks to all of the locals some of
which need to be recruited by PVRC for the Q's in the slow times. The test
should have been 24 hours earlier as Friday night and Saturday morning were
hot
 with activity especially into TN,AL,KY,LA,MS,GA and FL which we never did
 get to work at all with exception of a couple of FL in the contest. The
 whole lower half of the country was basically missed during the test from
 here!