[3830] ARRL June VHF W0ETT/7 Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jun 13 13:07:32 EDT 2006

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: W0ETT/7
Operator(s): W0ETT
Station: W0ETT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WY

    6:  383   128
    2:   22     6
  222:    7     4
  432:    9     5
  903:
  1.2:    1     1
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  422   144  Total Score = 63,360

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Operated portable SOLP in DN61, QTH was a cabin at 10,003 ft about 3 miles from
the summit of Snowy Range Pass next to Medicine Bow Peak (12,000+) in southern
Wyoming.  The old, rustic cabins have the necessities but not much else except
for a great vhf location to the NE, E, and S.  The best thing is that the
management didn't mind a ham radio contest being operated from the small
cabin.

Arrived Saturday late afternoon about 3:30 after leaving the Rocky Mountain
Hamconvention in Estes Park, CO at noon.  After putting up the 6m 3 ele.
Cushcraft at 20 ft, I turned on the old FT650 and found the band wide open.  I
quickly hooked up the laptop, started CQing, and soon had a pileup of 8s and 9s
who were booming in s9+.  Finally stopped about dusk and put up the 144, 222,
432, and 1296 yagi antennas on a separate pushup mast which all total would
account for only 39 QSOs and 16 grids on an IC910H compared to the 383 Q's and
128 grids on 6m.

Sunday wasn't as good on 6m as Saturday but sporadic Es brought in a lot of new
grids as different parts of the country were worked.  Best contact on 432 was
N0YK in DM98 who had put up a new 432 antenna and was eager to try it out.

On the way home, I operated rover logging approximately another 50 Q's in a
paper notebook while driving.  (Don't try that at home, kids, leave it to the
professionals).  The rover log will be submitted separately from the portable,
fixed station at the cabin.  I used my mobile radio FT100D and an ATAS whip and
a 2m halo on the van.

Worked GMCCers N0KE, N0POH, W0LSD, and KO7X.  Heard Don K0FX but no QSO when he
was trying out CW on 6m.  Worked many RMVHF+ Net members from the front range
who were having a ball with the 6m dx during the contest.

73 Ken, W0ETT
Parker, Colorado

Rigs:  FT650 for 100 watts on 6 and DEM 222 transverter with 25watts.  IC910H
had 100 watts on 2, 75 on 432, and 10w on 1296.  Antennas:  3 el 6m, 4 el 222,
7 el for 2, 9 el for 432, and 18 el on 1296.