[3830] ARRL June VHF W3USA/R(K8MR) Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Jun 14 16:30:15 EDT 2006

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: W3USA/R
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: W3USA/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH: Ohio

    6:  50     28
    2:   7      5
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  57     33  Total Score = 1,881

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

The main event of the weekend was my daughter's graduation from Ohio University,
but I looked at that as an excuse to pass out some rover qsos in the VHF contest
on the drive home.  I took along the IC-746 and PAR loops for six and two, but
could not have taken anything else as I was also hauling home her wordly
possessions.

When we hit the road from eastern EM89 at 2000z things did not sound very
exciting. There were some weak signals from big stations, and strong signals
from K8GP. The best six meter tropo DX was W4MYA in FM07. Those locals I heard
on six did not seem to be really running stuff. I did hear some strong VE2's
(mostly VE2HOG) but they weren't CQing and wouldn't answer my CQs.

By the time we stopped at a rest area along I-77 in northern EM99 things were
sounding better, though the only Es qsos were with N0EO in EN37 and K7RE in
DN84. So we moved on into the not so rare EN90 where things got a lot better.
The high point was calling someone on a rather crowded CW frequency around
50.100 when K6RC came back with a "?", so I called and worked him while driving
through Akron (EN91). I also had a few guys answer my CQs on 50.345.

Thanks to my wife Linda who drove the whole way home, even though she'd usually
rather sleep in the car than drive.

73  -  Jim  K8MR