[3830] WPX CW IR4X(IZ3EYZ) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Jun 16 10:26:15 EDT 2006

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: IR4X
Operator(s): IZ3EYZ
Station: IR4X

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Mt.Capra
Operating Time (hrs): 34,5

   20: 1416

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

Can't ask for more!
Although it was mainly a WRTC stuff test I wanted some fun. Managed to achieve
2 out of 3 goals I setted: somewhere between 6 and 7M, 3000Qs, nearly 900
mults. So I have nothing to complain about :-)

SO1R, no antenna switching plugging connectors in/out (contesting improves your
health, isn't it?), operating 34,5 hrs due to a WL CW failure on Sunday
afternoon plus 3hrs straight with paddle! :-)
Didn't want to solve some RFI I had on my laptop as I ended up re-wiring IR4X
shack just an hour b4 the contest. So switched to a well-known PC but I was
forced to use WL instead of WT! That sucked.
Anyway considering it was a pretty much untested setup inside things went
well.

Guess I might have added about 150 Qs without those troubles I had on Sunday
but not a chance to reach the 3K Qs target. On the other hand I felt it would
have been so easy to overcome both 3K and 7M if I was SO2R.
Spent a while listening to CT/OK1RF and CU2A but didn't notice any remarkable
difference towards NA. Of course they both had a better skip towards EU. IR4X's
slope helped a lot. Had the feeling I was one of the few EUs running on 15mt on
Sunday! It seems up here no sunspots are needed :-)

Fair conds considering we 're approching the solar minimum but peaking few days
prior to the contest. Interesting Es one week later, pity as it would have been
fun on 10m during the contest. Mixing JA/NA pile on 15/20 was fun too. Should
have ran more on 40 but hard to know if/when cuz of above. 80m was appointed as
the "European band" but I couldn't get any valuable EUs rate or a decent stream
of mults. All I managed to get when I hitted the band for the 1st time, believe
or not, was an US pile :-)
Nearly the end got again some US into full daylight, LU7EE and PR7AR. Quite
remarkable as these guys were running LP and a wire. A thing to remember during
WRTC! ;-)

Still amazing the number of available mults this yr. Looking at 3830 scores,
received logs and a few fellow's logs I found plenty of stuff I didn't hear for
the whole contest. 1000 mults seem quite possible with 2R.

Funny contest, 2nd full time effort and 1st AB in WPX CW. Enjoyed the race with
a couple of WWYCers although QTHs are too much different to have a real and fair
comparison.

WPX CW gained a solid 3rd place after IARU and WAE CW in my favourite contest
list.

Gonna BB next yr...SO2R is addictive. :-)

Cu in Floripa (WRTC) within a while!

Matt.EYZ

          160M    80M    40M    20M    15M    10M   Total      %

    NA       0     25    209    743    190      0    1167    44.0
    EU       0    149    341    496    151      0    1137    42.9
    OC       0      0      5     19      7      0      31     1.2
    AS       0      1     21    142     93      0     257     9.7
    AF       0      2      3      7      9      0      21     0.8
    SA       0      2      3      8     24      0      37     1.4