[3830] ARRL June VHF K8GP Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 19 13:52:04 EDT 2006

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: K8GP
Operator(s): K1HTV, K1RA, K1TR, K3CB, K3MM, KM3T, W3ZZ, KU4CG, W4XP, NW5E, K8ISK
Station: K8GP

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Spruce Knob, WV

    6: 1178   270
  1.2:   72    25
  2.3:   38    16
  3.4:   34    10
  5.7:   34    11
  10G:   31     9
  24G:    2     1
-------------------
Total: 2588   551  Total Score = 2,129,064

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This time the Pirates actually had enough people to put up the station – 8 by
Friday and all 11 by Saturday. The weather was unusually cold for this time of
year with highs not reaching 60F one day and lows every morning in the 30’s
F. We almost did not see the sun but luckily the rain each day was of
relatively short duration.

This was the biggest Pirate score ever, the first over 2 million. The big
difference was an excellent 6 meter opening the first day. We opened with a 180
hour to the Midwest and west coast and then settled in at about 100 an hour for
the next few hours. We think the 270 grids is one of the highest totals ever
made. The band was open well including double hop to all parts of the US except
Texas. No Europeans during the contest but Saturday morning the band was wide
open to Europe.

We did have several extended visits from Murphy which we overcame to a great
extent by yeoman-like effort from the group especially Terry K8ISK. We wound up
running QRP [50 watts] most of the time on 1296 as both our multi-tube water
cooled finals bit the dust. Other assorted relay problems and deceased preamps
did not help matter either. But the bottom line was that we think we fixed
these quickly enough that we were not hurt badly by any of this.

Two meters and up suffered from excellent 6 meter conditions and dreadful
propagation to the populous Northeastern corridor. There was a strong front to
our east and north and many easy contacts in that direction were impossible to
make. Many of the local rovers had equipment problems so we did not do as well
as normal on the highest frequencies either.

Overall we were very pleased with the effort and the final score.