[3830] ARRL FD N8OS 3A LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jun 25 22:55:41 EDT 2006

                    ARRL Field Day

Call: N8OS
Operator(s): K8BB, KB8KRF, KB8LTF, N8KLX, N8OS, N8NM IN SPIRIT
Station: N8OS

Class: 3A LP
QTH: Indian River, MI

  160:
   80:  192      91
   40:  400     631
   20:  362     714
   15:          284
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  954    1720     0  Total Score = 7,606

Club: The Minutemen: Contesters of Michigan

Comments:

Score includes 350 "bonus" points.

Conditions were pretty good, with consistent short skip on 20m and even some on
15m, with a nice late-night opening to the west coast. 40m and 80m signals were
good, but the summertime static was worse in many cases.

We made some improvements from last year to eliminate inter-station
interference and we experienced NO inter-station interference - wow! On the
other hand, a new logging program and station network still needs some "tweaks"
(and a few kicks). Voice keyers were a plus this time.

N8NM has an injured ankle, so we were short one crack CW op from last year,
which heavily biased our score to SSB this time...down about 300 points from
last year, with arguably better conditions and a very good job by the SSB crew.
KB8LTF continues to amaze us with his once-a-year "performance" and KB8KRF came
out of "radio retirement" to show us how to important it is to operate to the
very last second! (And also how to disable the safety features of the generator
to ensure its reliability...think about it.)

We lost exactly three hours (3:30am-6:30am) to much needed (and deserved!)
slumber. Maybe some day we will actually stick to a schedule to ensure the
radios are manned all night! (N8OS tried to, but K8BB dropped the ball...)

Once again we were set up (tower, Yagis, wires, etc) in about two hours and
packed up in even less time. The N8KLX-designed trailer-tower is becoming a
turn-key operation!

Quick Station Description:
Location: rather primitive hunting cabin on 80 wooded acres in norther lower
Michigan
Antennas: 3L15 @ 60', 3L20 @ 56', 40m dipole @ 60', 80m Windom @ 40'
Station 1: SSB 20m/40m FT-1000MP
Station 2: CW+SSB 20m/40m IC-765
Station 3: CW+SSB 15m/80m K2/100

We had a blast! Already thinking about changes for next year...

73!