[3830] ARRLDX SSB K6QK SOAB HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 5 19:57:20 EST 2006

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K6QK
Operator(s): K6QK
Station: K6QK

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: San Diego, CA

  160:    0     0
   80:    1     1
   10:   11     3
-------------------
Total:  310   128  Total Score = 118,656

My station has changed significantly since my last contest (ARRL 10M)so there
was a bit of a learning curve under contest conditions.  I wasn't disappointed;
there were problems to be resolved before the next contest.

Esentially the equipment in the shack remained unchanged.  I'm still running the
FT-1000MP, Alpha 91Beta amp, MFJ-434 Voice Keyer,and a home built PC with a new
17" LCD display ( really like it).  The real changes took place in the antennas.
 A 4el TET tribander was replaced by a 4el SteppIR and the rotatable dipole by a
2el Cushcraft XM-240.  The 2el 40 is where I'm having problems with RF in the
shack that locks up the PC.  It's not a problem but an opportunity to make
things better.  The antennas are mounted on a Wilson MT-61 tublar tower and I
rotate the entire tower. I live in a no antenna community, a whole other
story.

I had a good time and enjoyed the openings into Europe.  The Carribean and SA
were slam-dunks.  All in all I was pleased with the performance of the antennas
just not the local RF.  Not as good a score as last year but we are at the
bottom of the cycle.

Better things next year.

73,
Harv