[3830] ARRLDX SSB W2JU SOAB LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 5 20:23:59 EST 2006

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W2JU
Operator(s): W2JU
Station: W2JU

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: CT

  160:    8     8
Total:  422   214  Total Score = 270,924

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

IC706, AH-4 tuner, 200 ft. dipole up 30 feet, N1MM Logger.  All S&P.

The good news is that I improved on last year's score by 25%; the bad news is
that it took me 50% longer to do so!  The high bands were really tough for me
this year:  11 fewer contacts and 26 fewer mults.  The low bands took up the
slack, with 81 more contacts and 35 more mults.

Managed 3 six banders, with 10 meters being the weakest link for a change; it
used to be 160.  Finishing the third was challenging, as he was difficult to get
on 40 meters.  On Saturday, I heard him working a pileup, and waited for him to
announce his listening frequency, since I was operating unassisted and couldn't
just look it up.  I'm sure his packet pileup was keeping him busy at first, but
he worked through it and started CQing with no takers, still without mentioning
his listening frequency.  This went on for a minute or two.  It must have
occurred to him that this was affecting his rate, and he finally announced it,
but before I could tune my other VFO there, he had QSYed to another band.  On
Sunday, tuning down through the low end of the band, I heard a loud station on
the wrong sideband.  Sure enough, it was him, but at least he was announcing
where he was listening.  By the time I'd tuned there, he had discovered the
problem and was back on LSB.  Two calls later he was in the log.

73, and thanks for all the Qs.  Alec W2JU