[3830] ARRLDX SSB N5AU SOAB HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 5 21:41:03 EST 2006

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N5AU
Operator(s): N5AU
Station: N5AU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Texas

  160:   11     9
Total:  668   267  Total Score = 535,068

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

I made some antenna progress between the CW weekend and SSB.   I got an old 5L
Telrex 10M yagi at 50 feet hooked up, but not turning.   It was fixed to the SE
and seemed to work very well.   It was much better than the 1/4 wave elevated GP
it replaced, but only to the SE.   I had to call KH7X really hard before he
heard me (with no pile-up calling) !!  The 7L M2 10 will go up this summer at
190, with a pair of 4L M2 10's below fixed-stacked to SE.

No big problems this weekend except the ever-present buzz.   Still can't call CQ
for fear of being certified as an alligator.   The NW buzz is S9 and 24/7, so
not many Asian stations in the log.   I did call CQ into EU late Sunday morning
on 15 because the EU buzz went off, but only got a few callers.   It was too
late in the opening.  Maybe I will get lucky this summer and get rid of the junk
in time for the next solar cycle to start up.

It sounded like USA activity levels were down.   It seems there may be such a
thing as "fair weather contesters".   They only operate when the sun has plenty
of spots when it shines.   I heard a lot of the Caribbean begging hard Sunday
morning, working 1 or 2 every 5 minutes.   We may be on for WPX SSB from VP2E.
I hope we fare better.

Rig:  FT1000MP/5   Amp:  AL-1500

10:   5L Telrex fixed SE at 50
15:   6L M2 at 135