[3830] ARRLDX SSB VE1DHD SOAB(A) LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Mar 7 14:44:44 EST 2006

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE1DHD
Operator(s): VE1DHD
Station: VE1DHD

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: Seabright

   10:   19     6
-------------------
Total:  622   187  Total Score = 348,942

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Rig : Kenwood TS850s

Antennas : Mosley Pro57B & 40/80 Inverted-"V" dipole

Soapbox : This was my first attempt at a "big" contest from home.  I have always
done these ARRL tests from VE1JF's place and I must say, it was a real eye
opener to be back to 100W and my simple antenna system after the stacked beams
and Alphs at Jim's.

I worked the contest reasonably well for a total of about 25 hours, but really
found it difficult to get a productive run going until I was finally spotted on
Sunday morning on 20m and then all hell broke lose and I went from 40 an hour to
140+ an hour!  Mostly I just worked my way up and down the DX Cluster picking of
the "red ones" first and then the "blue ones", but that is a much slower process
than having a productive run.  I did a propagation analysis before the test and
that actually turned out to be quite accurate and very helpful in terms of
planning which bands to be on and where to point the beam.

This was also my first real test with N1MM.  I wanted to give it a real work out
and it performed extremely well.  I did however get disconnected from the DX
Cluster a couple of times and once, it told me that I have been "forcefully
rejected" whatever that means and I could not get back on for over an hour or
so.

All in all it was a good experience.  I would have liked to have done better but
I did take time out for two good sleeps, three square meals each day and a 45
min conference call on Saturday that had been organized by Hams if you can
believe it!

Hope to do the CQ WPX in two weeks.