[3830] ARRLDX SSB K1UQ SOAB(A) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Mar 7 21:16:01 EST 2006

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K1UQ
Operator(s): K1UQ
Station: K1UQ

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Georgetown, MA

   20:  906   109
Total: 1372   346  Total Score = 1,424,136

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Rig : FT-1000MP
Amp: Commander HF-2500
Antennas : Force-12 C3, 2 el 40m array (NE/SW), 80m Vert, 160m Inv-L

Soapbox : K1UQ's top 10 reflections:

1. Had some good 20m runs and was pleased given station limitations.

Often felt like I was a QRP magnet as I think every QRP station called

me. Then when they were gone, all the 2E0 fifty watt stations called. But

after trashing what little hearing I have left pulling out 4 & 5 watt

signals, these fifty watt guys sure sounded LOUD!

2. Has this happened to you? You are running and paying attention to

getting each call letter correct, typing as you transmit when the

received call sign sinks in as you are speaking "Fox Six Alpha Sierra

Sierra you're five nine ..." and you burst out laughing, mic keyed! What

a funny way to slow a run as I could not stop laughing. It was the middle

of Sunday afternoon, I was tiring, and this little bit of amusement

enlightend the moment and sure lifted my spirits.

3. On 15m (21.275) I kept hearing an AM station broadcasting a sports

game, maybe soccer from Portugal? Haven't heard this before. (Secretly

wished it was the Red Sox as I might have been tempted to listen on VFO

B)

4. EA1KY answers and says "K1UQ you're too strong, I guess that's five

nine, one hundred".  Another psychological boost!

5. Most people who moved in too close to my run frequency did move when

asked politely. Example: a station (??AR) when asked said "Oh-key

Dough-key" and was gone as fast as he showed up. Wouldn't it be nice if

everyone behaved in this exemplary fashion?

6. Murphy showed up. He likes me. Sometimes I think he LOVES me. But this

time I think he just wanted to let me know he still knows where I live.

Early Sunday evening I figured I'd spend some of the remaining time on

40m and pick up a few mults. Poof! the grid meter on the Commander pegs!

Must be a strong needle as I thought surely it was going to wrap around

the peg! Looking at the Nye Viking MB-V-A I see SWR at 3, maybe 4 to one.

Then it goes back to "1:1" and grid level drops to 40ma. Then bang! back

up. Down. Up. Then steady. Then erratic. Lowering power from a KW to 500W

seemed to help. Sure didn't help grabbing the remaining mults on 40m but

I did.

7. Very surprised I could be heard by the Pacific stations at those times

I could hardly hear them. I never figured I'd get A35RK on 21.247 at

22:05z Sunday. I did get called by a few KL7s and KH6s when I least

expected it.

8. Ten meters was brief fun, albeit mostly SA.

9. I was disappointed to hear a needed mult fade away just as 20 closed

Sat night and presumed JV800BV wouldn't be back on Sunday. Got him and

the mult at 23:48z Sunday!

10. One thing I've learned is don't waste time waiting in line for XX, RX

(all three of them this weekend!), TT, and the 3 land guns to call the

same mult you want. Go work others then come back - and just hope there's

some meat left on the bone. (But it IS fun trying to jump up and kick

these big dogs in their shins!!)

Bottom line - tiring, but fun. Hardest I think I've worked. And as

always, thanks to everyone for getting on and contributing to the fun.

  I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations
  established for amateur radio in my country. My report is
  correct and true to the best of my knowledge. I agree to be
  bound by the decisions of the Contest Committee.

  Date : 2006-03-06        Signature : Bill Lawless, K1UQ