[3830] ARRLDX SSB PI4TUE M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Mar 15 16:31:05 EST 2006

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: PI4TUE
Operator(s): PA9JB +YL, ON9CC, PC5A, PA5MW
Station: PI4TUE

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Eindhoven

Total: 1795   198  Total Score = 1,066,230

This time we enjoyed a real multi-operator effort.
During the weekend the local GHz-groups is active on 23+3cm as well, so we were
never lonely.
We started off installing an FT1000MPV-Field +Inrad roofing filter. From
experience we learned that such was a real noticable improvement over the old
TS950SDX (used during CW) on 40m in the wkd-all-asian-BC split RX-section
(7100-7300). This time no antenna or cable issues. The whole setup went very
well. At T-3.5 hrs we leave the shack and go out for a nice starting dinner in a
local italian restaurant. About 2hrs later, and leaving a long but distictive
trail of garlic, we enter the shack again. We hookup the std used RS232 cable to
the pc and strtup N1MM.  Ah..yes..it is just before the start of the contest;
hello McMurphy again!  There is no CAT connection possible. Tried other cable,
other contest pc...same issue. Try connection from own pc notebook; OK!  But we
need the std 2 contest pc's...  Both Dell's apparently have other RS232 std
(12V?) and the logical levels doe not match with the MP's RS232(C that is).
Problem solved by using a USB to RS232C interface cable.
While using a K9AY last time, installed at ground level, this time we only
connected the fixed direction towards the USA. The optional 4 control voltages
on the coax were used this time to select 4 different terminations (373, 460,
530 and 724 Ohm. The highest value proved worthwile in a static test on 40mtrs.
European skywave angle signals from the back went down another 2 s-points.
Obviously for 160m 373&430 worked best, and 80m was happy with 530. However,
during the contest there was much less significance. It never made any
difference in hearing the dx yes/no. But this is an experimental radio-hobby
right?
160m was a blast again. Boy does this 220ft high 1/4 sloper tied to the
building, work fb on 160m!
The installed live webcam+audio was a great succes. Some stations were even able
to hear their own qso. Many thanks to the 'little pistols' who tried endlessly,
came back at a later stage to be rewarded with a qso finally.
Sunday, early in the evening provided some great runs on 20mtrs. 15mtrs only
opened shortly and 10m not even showed faint pings of 1XX, 3LPL and the like.
It was nice "hearing" you all tis time.
Till next year.
73.