[3830] Rus DX G3SJJ SO Mixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 19 14:49:00 EST 2006

                    Russian DX Contest

Call: G3SJJ
Operator(s): G3SJJ
Station: G3SJJ

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: Nottingham

  160:   44      4       18        15
   80:   41      9       21        18
   40:   63     10       28        14
   20:  169     71       37        51
   15:   88      0       18        29
   10:    1      0        1         0
Total:  406     94      123       127  Total Score = 827,250

I hadn't worked out a strategy so decided to go for SOAB, MIX which allowed to
me to have a look around the bands. Had a bad start as I was still trying to
sort out a problem with the 40m phased array until 30 minutes in. After 6x250m
round trips to the antennas, ie 1 mile in old money, I fixed the RF problem but
introduced a dc fault. At that stage the battery on my test meter packed in,
probably from cold(!) so I decided to go with the array fixed east.

In the end I did about 10 hours for 500 Qs which was slow but comfortable. 20
and 15 were really buzzing during Saturday afternoon and I could see lots of DXy
spots so it was easy to move around and pick off some nice stuff. There was
never a shortage of Russians to work even right up to the end. Sunday evening
was probably the worst time for me since I could see lots of spots for States on
40m but couldn't get at them with effectively a 20-25db tx/rx attenuator in
towards the west! Sunday morning I could see from WWV/WCY announcements on the
Cluster that A index had gone up to 22 and a moderate storm predicted. True to
form, 15m was almost empty but 20m was packed for both modes. Observations :

1  Lots of Russians to work but lots of DX as well.
1a Lots of Russians on SSB talking only in Russian.
2  Key clicks seems to be the norm! But then I heard two Ws in the week on 20m
SSB who were spreading a good 20KHz.
3  Prefer serial number to be continuous rather than separate for each band.
4  Great contest for multi station / multi op, must try it.
5  N1MM was really smooth and smart.

Great contests. Thanks to the organisers. Chris G3SJJ