[3830] WPX SSB 8P2K(8P6SH) SOSB20 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 27 10:19:00 EST 2006

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: 8P2K
Operator(s): 8P6SH
Station: 8P2K

Class: SOSB20 HP
QTH: 8P

   20: 1911

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Equipment:

Yaesu FT1Kmp mkV
Acom 1000 amp @ 500W.
Force 12 C3S & C3SS antennas
Writelog

Comments:

Twenty metres is always tough. Started with a great 166 Q's in the first hour,
but almost immediately, the band folded within minutes of the second hour.

The entire week-end was just gruelling QRM as I guess most of the SOAB ops
converged on 20.

I started the week-end with a visit to a neighbour who had an RFI problem on her
phone when I was on 20m. It turned out to be that she had added a long extension
to her wireless 'phone. I replaced the wireless which was operating on 49MHz.
(prone to RFI from my 200w on 6m) with a 5 GHz unit. I also added some torroids
to both the telephone line and the unit's power cable. A quick test seemed to
indicate that the problem was fixed.

As a result of work and Credt-Union commitments, I never got any rest before the
contest. I thought I'd be alright, but ended up taking an over 12 hour rest from
around 04:00hrs.

Fully rested, I restarted the contest with full energy and 5 great hours of 142,
120, 123, 127 and 133Q's. Then someone turned off the propagation switch and it
was all tough work with lots of work for the voice-keyer on a dead band. Was
rewarded with good mults from VK, ZL, V53, 9V and a few others.

There was so much activity it was tough to find free real estate to call CQ. It
was telling to find PJ2T and 8P5A somewhere below 14.122 and at some point I was
down to 14.115.

Sunday's propagation was much better into Europe (or more accurately I slept
through the EU openings on Saturday!!!)Most hours were around 50Q's with lots of
S&P activity. Stations (including some prominent ones) seemed to routinely come
on my frequency and call as though the frequency was clear. This was
particularly strange since there were pile-ups so even if you could argue that
you weren't hearing me, how could you miss a whole huge pile-up from the
location you're beaming to. VERY VERY STRANGE!!!!

In other instances, stations would turn up 500Hz or 1000Hz away and again this
is just not on.

Had another great hour to round off the contest.

Congrats to stations like 8P5A, PJ2T, ZD1Z, HC8N, CN2ST who seemed to have great
scores.

Also great to hear a large number of 8P's. I worked 8P6GY, 8P6EX, 8P6QA, 8P9NX &
8P5A - for three different mults.

Enjoyed it. See you next time.