[3830] WPX SSB KP2TM M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 27 10:38:47 EST 2006

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KP2TM
Operator(s): K9TM, K8CC
Station: KP2TM

Class: M/S HP
QTH:

   20: 1434
   15: 2859

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Rig:

FT-1000MP/Alpha 76PA
2L Quad @ 50'/402-CD 40'/80m Dipole

Our last exprience in this contest was in 2004 from WP2Z.  With two years for
the sunspots to degrade, we expexted that the contest was going to turn into a
"20M QSO party" this year.  While 10M was a major disappointment as expected
(where we had 1700+ QSOs in 2004), 15M was the major workhorse this time with
decent totals from Europe and a seemingly endless supply of W/VE.  As expected,
Asia was difficult but workable on 20M.

In the end, we were very pleased to come within 6K of our 2004 score from WP2Z,
which is the equivalent of three NA or two non-NA for us.  This despite being
down almost 200 QSOs and 100 mults, the difference being in the number of three
and six point QSOs.

The biggest challenge from here is 40M.  US possessions in the Caribbean only
have access to 7075-7100 which forces us to wedge in.  A number of USA stations
actually worked us transceive on our transmit frequency.  While some of these
were newbies ("I heard you transmit down here and I thought I could too"), there
were a number of well-known contest calls as well.  One W station actually tried
take over our transmit frequency by calling CQ on it and listening even lower in
the band!

All in all it was another great contesting weekend from the Caribbean.  Now for
the hard part - getting on the plane and returning to snowy Michigan/Ohio...

Dave/K8CC & Tim/K9TM