[3830] WPX SSB OH6NIO SO(A)SB20 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Mar 28 15:28:54 EST 2006

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: OH6NIO
Operator(s): OH6NIO
Station: OH6NIO

Class: SO(A)SB20 HP
QTH: Mieto
Operating Time (hrs):

   20: 1659

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

It is always exiting to hear all those new prefixes in this contest. As I didn't
expect 15m to be very productive I ended up to give it a try on 20m single band.
Because I didn't feel like staying up all night the SOAB(A) was abandoned as
well.

Time and again 20m was swarming like an angry beehive. I felt very uncomfortable
with stations splattering loudly just half a kHz away both sides. There was just
no escape but my eardrums stood the test after all. I know that the band gets
congested during a major contest especially on the bottom of the cycle and the
QRM-level inevitably increases but when some operators parked almost on top of
me and refused to move I could not understand why they did it despite of hearing
me. Fortunately there were also some good operators who apologized and moved a
bit. Usually the offender finally moved away after realizing that it was a
no-go.

The propagation was not the best into NA and it seems that we missed completely
the over-the-pole -openings that the guys in the north (OH8) enjoyed. As a
matter of fact I didn't even hear a whisper of those stations. There was just
one decent hour on sunday at 15Z when I could really enjoy the pile-up. Both
evenings were worse than normally and I just couldn't get any NA run going. Thus
the p/qso was pretty poor.

I tried my best to rack up as many prefixes as possible and made my new record
on prefixes. I worked lots of new prefixes from Europe but missed many from the
states and Japan. It looked like the operators from NA were too busy working
each other than listening to a puny EU signal. Maybe it was not such a good idea
to credit points for domestic contacts. Especially on Sunday evening it was more
like listening to SS.

The equipment worked fine except the sound card dvk. Sometimes the recording
blurred badly when a packet spot arrived.

Rigs: FT-1000MP + 2 x 3-500ZG, 4o4 @ 21&36m + 3 el JA @ 28m + 3 el EU @ 17m
+ 3 el @ 12m + N1MM logger.

Thanks for the contacts & CU!

73 Teijo OH6NIO