[3830] 7QP K7L(K6LL) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 8 02:58:43 EDT 2006

                    7th Area QSO Party

Call: K7L
Operator(s): K6LL
Station: K6LL

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: AZ

  160:
   80:   91     66
   15:   21      0
--------------------
Total:   60     60  Mults = 60  Total Score = 263,520

Wow, I really missed seeing the 3830 scores for a whole day while the system was
down. It really drove home how valuable this service has become. There is
nothing like seeing the scores while everything is fresh in one's mind from the
contest. Thanks again to Bruce and whoever else is involved in keeping 3830
going!

Now for the contest:

Whoever dreamed up this contest, congrats to you! I think it was a smashing
success, and is definitely a keeper! I was amazed at the 7-land participation,
especially for the first running of the event. I didn't see any problem
whatsoever with the INQP, NEQP, MARAC, or ARI contests running at the same
time. The only little hitch is that I guess when Indiana or New England
stations change county, they become a dupe for us - no big deal. When New
England stations change states, they are not a dupe. At least, I think that is
how it works. The ARI guys wanted a serial number - no problem.

I had a hard time doing a double or triple entry for stations on a county line
in real time. I changed to writing hand notes so I could go back and do it
after the contest. I was able to figure out all of the notes and do the
corrections ok after the contest.

I didn't want to use the call K6LL/7 in this contest, because I thought it
would be too confusing. One thing led to another, and K7L became available. It
seemed to work well generally, but generated a few requests for repeats and
queries about QSL routes. I have a feeling there is going to be a deluge of QSL
requests, so I will have to get something nice printed up. For the Googlers: QSL
Route K7L via K6LL.

I think 15 was open fairly well, but not many people showed up, so it was not
productive to stay there. 20 was good. 40 was great, the best I can remember!
80 was ok, especially in the last hour.

Missed mults: VY0, VY1, VE9

It was 92 degrees outside on Saturday, so I put a little 5000 btu window unit
in the shack window (at 5 a.m.), and isolated the shack from the house central
air conditioner.  That worked very well, with the little AC running
continuously to handle the heat load from two amplifiers. With my
noise-eliminating headset, I couldn't hear any of the motors running. Previous
summer contests have had the shack too warm, and the rest of the house too
cold.

I had to make several trips outside in the dark to change the pigtail on the 80
meter sloper between 75 and 80 meters. That started all the neighborhood dogs
barking, so it's nice to know that they are on duty out there.

Thanks for all the QSO's, and thanks again to the 7QP organizers for coming up
with a great event!

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.