[3830] 7QP K4XU/ Mobile LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue May 9 16:40:03 EDT 2006

                    7th Area QSO Party

Call: K4XU/
Operator(s): K4XU
Station: K4XU/

Class: Mobile LP
QTH: OR

   40:  111      2
   20:  212     12
--------------------
Total:  323     14  Mults = 38  Total Score = 37,885

Not a spectacular effort but plenty of stations to work. I was able to train TR
to accept ANY of the exchanges from the several QP's going on so logging was no
problem. Listened on 15m several times and called CQ but no takers. Was rolling
all the time except for a 30 minute stop in Lake county where I made 40-odd
QSOs. It really maes a difference when that damn fuel pump isn't running, I can

work another two layers down.

My son drove, I operated. 579 miles in 12 hours in 14 countties in central
Oregon. In the afternoon the W1 stations were huge and easily worked, mid-day
the IN stations were the main targts as well as the southern end of W7. I think
I worked every station in AZ, most in UT and NV, and quite a few in WY and MT.
Conditions did not seem all that great but I got an answer to my CQ's about
half the time - not bad from a mobile.

Gear was a TS-50 into a three-resonator Hustler on the trunk lid via an MFJ
auto-tuner which makes it easy to switch modes and lets me run on 80m with no
resonator for that band. The coax between the antenna base and tuner is <6",
and an insulated radial on 20m really helps efficiency.

At 7PM local we stopped at N7LE and operated for a while at the club's MM
operation. Operated the last four hours of the contest as W7ESU from home with
good antennas and high power.

Thanks to all who made this new event a success. Will see you all next year.

73,
Dick Frey  K4XU
Bend, OR