[3830] WPX CW G6PZ M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 28 21:47:48 EDT 2006

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: G6PZ
Operator(s): G6PZ, G0CKP, G0RTN, G3TJE, G4MJS, M0CLW
Station: G6PZ

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Somerset

   20: 1678

Station - Orion (run) and FT1000MPMkV (mult), amp, 4 ele SteppIR, Cushcraft X-7,
40 2CD (all at 30 m), Titanex Vertical for 80, full size quad loops on 80 and
160.

Could we defend our European multi-single title from 2005, despite radical
personnel changes (you scribe, for example, only found out he was operating
this weekend at about 1330 on Friday!)?

Well, we think our score of just shy of 9.1 million, only very slightly down
from 9.3 million claimed last year, is a pretty good attempt, although we
seemed to have got the stiff competition we expected from stations like EI7M
and OM7M.

15 metres was strange here - some very strong signals from West Coast USA and
East Asia, but no depth.  Only the big guns were really coming through on 15
and 10 was almost a complete wash.  There were signals there, but it just
wasn't worth spending valuable run station on.  Indeed, this year's contest had
a startling lack of Sporadic E from G-land.  We saw plenty of 10 meter Es packet
spots further East though, and hope that won't make or break the contest for
us.

While conditions were often poor during the daytime, both 40 and 20 rocked at
night with excellent signals from all corners of the globe, great runs to both
the USA and Asia, sometimes at the same time.  At one stage on 40 metres on
Saturday morning, we were even working QRP W6s.  This rocked.

Despite a great Saturday night/Sunday morning, Sunday afternoon was shocking
here, and by teatime on Sunday we thought we were looking at a 1 million
deficit on last year's score.  But, suddenly the runs started appearing for us
on 20 and 40 (including a VK (!) run on 40), and we dragged mults from wherever
we could find them, with some gruesome final hour intra-Eu packet pileups.
Certainly, ZL4PW seemed to be surprised to finish the contest working G
stations on 15 metres long path.

Given we are in the pits of the sunspot cycle, we were pleased to see our QSO
total decline by only 400, a higher points/QSO ratio and, best of all, grinding
hard work on the mult staion produced more mults from fewer QSOs.  So will it be
enough?  We wait for the great oracle of 3830 to pass on news from our
competitors.

73

Gerry G0RTN