[3830] WPX CW VO1HE SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 29 08:58:28 EDT 2006

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: VO1HE
Operator(s): VO1HE
Station: VO1HE

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: The Rock

Club: East Coast Canada Contest Club

Comments:

Rig:	        FT-920
Amp:	        SB-220
Antennae:	SteppIR 3 Element at 60ft
		Multi-band dipole for 40/80 at 56ft
		KI6T Linear Loaded Half Sloper for 160 at 55ft (Currently retracted)
		80/160 Coax Receiving Loop at 2ft
Program:	N1MM 6.4.1

The new gear performed admirably. I am totally thrilled with the SteppIR beam
but I can see it's shortcomings with regards to contesting. It takes about 15
seconds to change bands so quick band changes are not going to be easy with it.
The amp worked quite well and the new dipole for 80/40 was excellent. I made a
lot more contacts on those bands than I could have with my previous antenna.

All S&P so I'm sure there are some mistakes. Loads of fun though. Really nice
being able to hear everything at last.

10M was sporadic. 15 had a lot of QSB but was good at times. 20 was pretty good
the first day but had fading on the second. 40 and 80 were a lot better than I
have experienced but I was trashing one of our TVs in the middle of my youngest
daughter's sleepover so that put a crimp in those bands on Friday night.

Just wondering... does the 6 band capabilities of the SteppIR mean I am no
longer in the TriBander+Wires Category? :)

Thanks for the Qs and CU in the next contest.

73 -- Paul VO1HE