[3830] WPX CW AA5CH SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 29 10:27:58 EDT 2006

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: AA5CH
Operator(s): AA5CH
Station: AA5CH

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Arkansas
Operating Time (hrs):

All S&P, using an Icom 7800, Hex Beam, cf Zepp @ 50', Gap Voyager, and N1MM.

Conditions on the upper bands were surprisingly good, with 20m open all night
Saturday and 10m open most of the day on Sunday. QRN on the lower bands was
moderate to heavy here and I could only hear a handful of stations on 80m.

Heard some unusual calls... my favorites were OM0M and OL7D.

This was my first "semi-serious" effort at a major CW Contest. My initial goal
was 200 QSO's, then 250, and then it looked like 100,000 points were
obtainable. The last QSO with 2 minutes to go took me over the top. I was a
nervous wreck, afraid I was going to end up with 98-99,000 points. I guess
drama plays out at all levels in these things....

Those serial numbers at 35+/- wpm presented quite a challenge and I have to
admit to using CWGet to back up my ears at times. I really appreciate the ops
who sent their serials at slightly slower speeds. After this weekend, 20 wpm is
starting to sound "relaxed" so perhaps I'll get there someday....and perhaps by
tomorrow the refrigerator will quit sending CW...hihi

73 es TU,

Brad
AA5CH