[3830] WPX CW KQ2M SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 29 16:56:20 EDT 2006

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KQ2M
Operator(s): KQ2M
Station: KQ2M

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CT

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

I haven't had much luck with my health and WPXCW the last 2 years.  Last year it
was Acute Pericarditis the Friday before, and this year it was knee surgery the
Friday before.  The surgery went well, with an offending piece of dead bone and
dead cartilage removed (dead tissue does NOT show up on an Xray or MRI!) but
surgeons's drilling several holes in the bone to hopefully spur bone growth "in
the hole" made operating tough with the the swelling about S9+20 and the the
pain a constant S9 with occasional bursts of S9+40 when I moved the wrong way!
Lots of off-time and frequent breaks for icepacks were the rule.  It was the
hardest 6.5 hours that I have ever operated!

On the bright side, condx were FABULOUS!  As I was saying years ago, "Give me
those bottom of the cycle conditions anyday!".  Without all those damned flares
and high auroral activity that plagued us in 2003 and 2004, cndx over the pole
were GREAT!  I heard some of the loudest Asiatic Russians and JA stations that
I can ever remember.  In fact, I actually had small yet meaningful JA runs on
15 and 20 for the first time in many years.  9N7JO sounded like a local!

In a brief burst on 15 on Sunday afternoon, WH0W, WX8C/KH2, ZM1A, HL5UOG and
VI9NI all called me within about 15 minutes! along with some JA's, EU stations
and a variety of others.  For an East Coast station in WPXCW, it just doesn't
get any better than that!

I am sure that many records were broken this weekend all over the world!

I had some station issues with a "spitting" amp and a dying WX0B stackmaster,
and of course, all the wires antennas were still on the ground.  Still, it was
a LOT of fun and it was great to hear and work so many of my friends.

Take a look at that MIND-BLOWING score by W7WA SO on 20.  3+ Million SINGLE
BAND QRP!! Yup, that's 1900+ q's, 800+ mults QRP SINGLE BAND!!  WAY TO GO DAN!
WOW!

Since I had to withdraw from WRTC due to health issues, I hope to be on for
IARU from home, probably only a part-time effort.  GL to all the competitors,
ref's and other particpants and SUERTE! to the committee!

73 and thanks for the q's!

Bob KQ2M   kq2m at earthlink.net