[3830] CQWW SSB PJ2T M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Nov 1 18:46:35 EST 2006

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: PJ2T
Operator(s): W4PA,  N5ZO,  K6AM,  N6ZZ,  W6SR,  K8RMC,  W0CG
Station: PJ2T

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Curacao

  160:  231    10       26
   80:  900    24       94
   40: 1407    29      109
   20: 3200    35      119
   15: 3032    30      114
   10: 1085    16       42

With a mix of 7 operators with operating time desires ranging from "Not very
much" to "Expect to be Iron Man" to "If the bands are good, I want to opeate a
lot" to "I'd rather snorkel", we decided to go Multi-Multi in this one.  With
some tweaking of the PJ2T setup, W0CG came up with a 4-station configuration
that seemed like it would be adequate.

As it turned out, an 8th (uninvited) player showed up:  Murphy!

During the course of the contest, we lost 4 transceivers and an amplifier.  The
radio stockroom of PJ2T was being drained at a record rate.  As one might
expect, some of the "spares" weren't quite up to the specifications of the
original setup.  While it didn't get to the point of using radios without
knobs, crystal controlled transceivers and the like, there were a few
compromises.  When one of the amplifiers quit working in the middle of Saturday
night, we dropped back to a 3-station configuration rather than risk subjecting
additional hardware to the harsh group of operators manning the station for
this event.

The Writelog network seemed to require continuous care and feeding, although
when one flakey computer died completely, its replacement provided much more
stability.

It seemed like many stations in the area were having more success working into
Europe than we were.  The terrain in that direction isn't the greatest.  One
might describe it as being uphill.  This proved to be a particularly
troublesome problem on 10 meters, where we hardly heard any Eu at all.  Also,
due to an ambitious maintenance effort underway at the station, the customary
10-meter European yagi wasn't available.

On the low bands, the QRN was quite high both nights.  Ah, the joys of the
Caribbean.  We got a pretty good rainstorm Saturday night, which provided
enough rain static to pretty much wipe things out for awhile.

Still, a few QSOs managed to get into the log.  After all, if this was easy,
we'd probably be involved in some other competitive sport.

Thanks to the PJ2T Caribbean Contesting Consortium for letting a number of
non-members fill out their ranks for this event.

-N6ZZ