[3830] CQWW SSB KR1ST SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Nov 1 21:26:19 EST 2006

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KR1ST
Operator(s): KR1ST
Station: KR1ST

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Ladson, SC
Operating Time (hrs): a few

  160:    1     1        1
   20:   39    10       23
   15:   41    10       24
   10:   19     4        4

Rig: FT-897
Pwr: 5 Watts
Antlers: 20m & 40m doublets, 40m horizontal loop, 80m inverted vee, all kindly
appreciating the support they were receiving from the trees in the backyard

I only worked a bit on Sunday afternoon and set the goal at 100 contacts which
I made. It was nice of ten meters to make an appearance, and 15 meters stopping
by is a real treat. The problem we have at this point of the sunspot cycle is
that as the upper bands become unavailable, evenyone descends on 20 meters. If
the other bands would be coninously open like at the peak of the cycle, then
stations are more spread out and pile ups are less deep or high, depending on
how you like 'em. :) This makes it tough for a peanut whisle like me to get
heard. Still getting through a pile up at very limited power levels still gives
you a great sense of satisfaction and accomplishment.

After a year of being virtually absent from the contesting scene it's nice to
feel that competitive flame inside me igniting again. Maybe i'll try a full
contest again soon.

73,
--Alex KR1ST
http://www.kr1st.com