[3830] SS CW K4XU Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 5 23:28:58 EST 2006

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K4XU
Operator(s): K4XU
Station: K4XU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OR

Another year with Murphy.

Spent an ineffective hour about 0330 Saturday working SO1R while repairing the
other Omni 6 after an error on a band change left it without a bandpass filter.
They don't like more than a watt of input.... Glad I had a few spare PINs.

The half square beam on 40m was working until wind and the damn squirrels cut
the halyard. What is it with these NW arboreal rodents?!! 40m went long early
so I spent more time on 80 which was quiet and quite productive.

Was there an SWF Sat night? The LF bands were sagging until about 0530 when the
rate suddenly shot up to 70/hour.

No sign of life on 10m but 15m was fun. I found the pile on VO1HP but he was
really weak. Checked a bit later and couldn't even hear him. Darn, another year
with 79 mults. An hour later I came back and he was S-8 and got him first call.
Then I realized that I was using the the 40m vertical on 15m... That's the
second radio ant!

I heard some huge A-scores and amazing sigs from QRP W7GG and N0SS and N0NI. It
will be interesting to see how the QRP shootout shakes out.

73,
Dick