[3830] SS CW KC5R Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 6 02:47:51 EST 2006

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: KC5R
Operator(s): KC5R
Station: KC5R

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: LA

You know, I didn’t start drinking until after the contest! Now that I’m good
and toasted, here’s a report:

The good:
W5WMU decided to take a holiday (although I heard him on 40 just cruising
around), but I found W5ZR on 20 to get my own section around 4 PM on Sunday (I
owe you, bub). Otherwise, my XYL would have had to get her General on Sunday
(she’s a codeless, and I’ll leave it at that). Turns out that VO1HP was
about 5 kc’s up, so I got a “2-fer”. The goods news was that people
seemed to be a bit more excited to work me without Pat around, with my “Big
QRP” signal (sorry, my “Dits” are showing). As Mel Brooks said, it’s
good to be the King…..

The bad:
I love hearing about all the NTs you all worked, but I never heard one. Maybe
one of you guys who got 2 of them can slide my call under your Q (give him my
NR 778 Q, 78 LA). Yes I’m kidding about that part (just in case the ARRL is
reading)…but I never even heard one. I hope they all missed LA….

The Ugly:
So Clemson got beat by Maryland. Big deal. My Buckeyes beat Illinois, yet I
managed to work about 30 some stations from IL. Did all you SC stations have to
boycott SS or did you get all tripped-out over your losses and couldn’t
remember which buttons to push on the CW Keyboard? Yes I missed SC (and I never
even heard anyone). So I ended up with a mult total of 78. So much for beaming
east on 40.

Finally, you know I like operating QRP because us TB-Wires guys and less can
take a shot at the “big time”. It’s really a pooper when you hear some
4-tower station and SO69R guy turning the power down and rotating the otherwise
Europe pointing array stateside, rather than running atleast “A” category. I
guess I’ll have to escalate the “nuclear-antenna” war in the future. Maybe
that is a little envy, but it would be nice to not find an Indy Car at the
Nascar track……

In all seriousness (you can tell the buzz is thinning), it was great to have
quiet bands on 40 and 80 on Saturday. 15 was a great opener. I never had an
hour over about 58 QSOs, but I had consistent 30-40 hours throughout the
contest until late Sunday. My best 2 hours were pouncing (I use both VFOs to
search, but only run one TX). The activity on the air was good from my
perspective as I put in a full 24 hour effort. The only bad spot was that the
same folks seemed to be on 15 (the NCCC mafia) – maybe it was propagation,
but there were far less casual operators from the west on 15 versus 20.

Well before I get another drink, let me just add that the XYL commented upon
how quiet this whole weekend was (I gave her the “unless my parents
die…”, don’t disturb me speech) as I operated SS CW. However, I warned
her that in two weeks that the situation may be a little different as I plan to
operate QRP in “SHOUT-Stakes” Phone. Of course, I wont start until the
OSU-Michigan game is over (hey-it’s #1 vs. #2). So please listen up for me
then, so I will still have a voice left for Dayton. In the meantime, I
suggested my XYL start listening to the code CD, just in case….

73’s –Al KC5R