[3830] SS CW K7BG Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 6 14:29:22 EST 2006

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K7BG
Operator(s): K7BG
Station: K7BG

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MT
Operating Time (hrs): 23:55

Club: Northern Rockies DX Association

Comments:

Deederdeet deederdeet. It's still ringing in my head.

I only went through about a six pack of diet Dr. Pepper over the weekend. I
think a few more rounds might have helped the last couple hours which were
rougher than I had hoped. I think the noise on 80m may have given some of the
usual fresh meat a reason to do something else with their Sunday evening.

It really is fun, in a twisted sort of way to scrounge the contacts on Sunday
afternoon. It is this craziness, I think, that makes the flavor of SS so
uniquely, tortuously enjoyable.

This was the first SS where I had all 80 mults in the bag in the first ten
hours which was before my first break and hitting the sack. Last one worked was
VE6EX. Worked multiple contacts in all sections except VE4 and VE6, but I heard
another station in each of those secs that I didn't get into the log so there
were multiples on from all sections.

I gave a thought to starting on 15, but decided on 20 due to the larger
footprint available. I only made 2 contacts on 15 on saturday, those being
VY1JA and KL7. I had my little tribander pointed NW and I tuned for loud sigs
on 15 while running on 20. Sure enough I ran across them early on and it worked
as I had hoped.

Quite a surprise to have W8IVF/VE8 call me on 80m late the first night. Must
have worked a half dozen MAR stations, those guys were really going gung ho.

The wind blew here all weekend and I found I had an intermittent in one of my
80m slopers. It just happened to be the one most used, that being the SE one. I
could see my power jumping up and down from 50 to 100 watts as the wind blew the
loose connection around. The additional noise that created didn't help either.

The topband activity hour yielded a half dozen QSOs. The first ever in a SS for
me. Looking at the log I worked K1KI, WA1Z, AA1K, and K1LT out east and a few
6's and HEY, I know I worked W2VJN in Oregon, but I must have somehow erased
(F11ed) him from the log... what in the blazes! Write it off to operator
fatigue..ggrrrr.

I know I got my low power britches dusted by at least 2 or 3 stations so I hope
those guys get on here and post there scores so I can pour another glass of Doc
Pepper and then cry in it. Actually, the only time all year I drink Dr. Pepper
is during the actual SS contest so I might have to cry into something else.

Thanks to all the clubs and great operators who get on each year.

All the best,

Matt--K7BG