[3830] CQWW SSB VA7RR(@VE7SZ) SOSB/20 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 12 15:07:56 EST 2006

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VA7RR
Operator(s): VA7RR
Station: VE7SZ

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: BC

   20: 2855    36      122
Total: 2855    36      122  Total Score = 999,555

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

Many thanks to Allan, VE7SZ, for hosting me for the weekend.  His stacked 4-el
20 meter array works very well, and he now has a pair of 3-element SteppIRs at
140 and 70 feet to add some more directional diversity.

   Conditions in VE7 were surprisingly good, at least until Saturday evening.
The rates into the USA were, at times, really vibrant, with 3 hours over 200.
During the 22 and 23z hours on Saturday I felt like I was operating from the
Caribbean.

   EU was very good on Saturday, and peaked a bit late with the best hour of
about 160 at 18Z. Unfortunately, conditions dipped starting at about 02Z on
Sunday, and, although EU was not a complete washout the next day, it paled in
comparison to the Saturday condx.

   The bad weather in the area produced a power outage on Sunday, and I lost
most of the 19z hour.  Fortunately, I was able to finish the last four hours of
the contest on generator power.

   Many thanks to all for the QSOs.  In view of this being the sunspot minimum,
it was a surprisingly fun weekend!

73,

Gary VA7RR