[3830] SS SSB WB1GQR(W1SJ) SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 21 00:26:40 EST 2006

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: WB1GQR
Operator(s): W1SJ
Station: WB1GQR

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: VT

Club: RADIO AMATEURS OF NORTHERN VERMONT

Comments:

Another long grueling SS is over.

The question is less about score and more about who is weird enough to keep
coming back year after year to do this... especially from the NE.

Despite all of the fancy technology out there (and I have little of it), being
competitive in this event is a ton of work. Power and antennas alone don't get
it done.  Which is probably why I keep coming back.

OK, so for the high points - the aging equipment (TS-830/520 and old Dentron
and Heath amps) held up nicely. The aging operator also held up, although he
looked like hell by the end of the festivities.

For the first time in a few years, I had starting hours which I could be proud
of and didn't find myself hundreds of Q's behind everyone.

Sunday morning, VY1JA called me, which was certainly the highlight of the day.
I certainly didn't miss dealing with the massive VY1 pileup. Otherwise, Sunday
was a blur of crappy rates all day. But hey, everyone complains about that!

Every year I proclaim that this is the last one and I will retire...

...and I'll see you all next year!

Mitch W1SJ