[3830] SS SSB K6NV SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 21 01:20:40 EST 2006

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K6NV
Operator(s): K6NV
Station: K6NV

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: SV

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This is, by far, the best I have ever done is a SSB SS! I missed out on my first
sweep by missing NL somehow which is a bumer.

Thought it was going to be a washout earlier in the week due to some pretty
awful power line noise that has come up in the last month. It is due north of
my house, so with the Yagi I could minimize it by pointing due east, but 40m
was gross and 80m bearable.  The noise rendered 40m almost unuseable except for
selective S&P.  The station played flawlessly, no problems with my stuff.
Sunday before the contest we had a short work party and raised my low 40m vee
about 30'to over 60', don't know how much difference it made, but the RFI
problems into the house have lessened. I also re-adjusted 1 leg on the 80m vee
to get it further away from the house and now no RFI into the ham computer. Now
to solve a problem with my neighbor and we will be home free, going to pay
attention to what K9YC is putting out.

I learned some lessons in this contest, other than it was pure torture for most
of the time on 20m and 80m.  I should have stayed up latter (past 0030) Sat
night, when I started getting tired 80m quieted down and most of the QRM and
congestion disappeared, I probably could have worked another 50-100 q's late at
night, and just slept another hour or so on the other end, plus the late night
operators seem to have it together better.

The highlights were being able to hold a run frequency most of Sunday morning
on 14.201 without being pushed off (I even felt that I was loud for most of the
4 hours), my rates weren't high (they never are) but it wasn't until propagation
changed that I had to move. I did get in on the NCCC rally times, it was very
cool and a break to have these loud, clear, well articulated stations to work
after suffering with noise and QRP stations.  The spotting helped save the day,
thanks guys.  I could always tell when I got spotted by the pileups, also got
spotted in PVRC territory when the 2's and 3's lined up.  I worked more ME, VT,
NH, NE and SD stations than I knew that existed, this was good.  I see now that
next year I will be over the 100,000 point mark.

Equipment lineup:
FT-1000MP
AL-80b, 8-900w out most of the time
TH-3 Yagi at 60+', vees on 80 and 40, 160m slopper
WL and an ancient Dell PC