[3830] CQWW CW KT0R M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 27 21:31:29 EST 2006

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: KT0R
Operator(s): K0AD,K0OB,NN7L,KT0R
Station: KT0R

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 34~

  160:   36    12       21
   80:  127    22       57
   40:  215    31       86
   20:  642    34      119
   15:  291    30       97
   10:   54    13       28

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

Well, another cqww contest has come and gone. The bands seemed to be decent for
the most part. It was a pleasure to host another Multi-2 with such good friends
and great operators. I started out the contest solo, and then Al K0AD came over
for a couple hours Friday night. The low bands were good. It was very nice to
be able to hear and work Europe on 80. I thought 80 was going to finish
stronger then it did for the contest. By the end of Friday I had more Europe in
the log than Caribbean. I bagged it kind of early Friday night. I just could not
keep my eyes open. Then I got some sleep.

I got up at 6:00 am hoping for some good Asia on 40 and 80. They were there,
even bagged a few Ja’s and some other stuff on 80 meters. That was great.
Greg K0OB came over around 8:00 AM., and he jumped into the 20 meter mayhem.
40 stayed production till after 9:00 am. Then it was off to 15 meters. It was
also nice to hear and work Europe on 15. We kept checking 10 meters though out
the day but, nothing really came up on 10 meters. Jason NN7L came over just
after 10:00 AM. We were glad to work W3LPL on 10 meters for the zone 4 and USA
mult…Hi. As many have said 20 was the grind but, keep going band. Saturday
didn’t have a lot of luck running. We tried to run here and there, with
varied success. On Saturday afternoon I got on 20 and had a great Ja run and
Asia. It was fun. Lasted about 1 ½ hours. The run gave me fond memories of
being at the farm with neat mults calling in. Saturday afternoon, before the Ja
run we were looking at the qso total rates from last year and we were a little
behind. But by midnight when Jason was heading out we were ahead of last years
pace. Jason did a fine job busting the pileups on 40 and 80 meters. It still
amazes me that after everyone stops calling and I hear KT0R KT0R from the dx
stations on the low bands. I stayed up till about 1:30 AM Saturday night then
hit the hay.

Sunday morning I got up and was hoping for more Asia but, just not a lot there.
However I did get a few Q’s and multipliers. Then Greg K0OB came around 8:00
am or so. And off to the races. 20 and 15 were going. Al K0AD came after church
and 15 meters was surprising how well it was going. As most of us know that
Sunday is notorious for the huge pileups, again I am so amazed that we busted
so many. There were a few we had to come back for or try several times. But I
think we worked most of what we heard. 9K2HN was one we just could not muster.
I even heard him on 80 but with no avail. There were many times when I would
say wow listen to this pileup, and Al or Greg would laugh and say wow you got
through that. Or they would say the same. We kept checking 10 meters and it
started to pop, stations here and there. You would listen and nothing then the
magic band would open and there is one. Boom got another mult GREAT ! Nice
quiet band and just a whisper on some stations and they would come right back
to us. It will be fun when the cycle comes back and we have 10 meters again.
Greg K0OB left around 3:00 pm and it was Al and myself till the end. It was fun
watching the score climb and getting the mults. The last hour and a half we
going like crazy trying to get what ever we could. Al did a super job on 40,
and I was trying on 20. We kept fighting over the rotor. My 20 and 40 meter
antenna is on the same mast. So I wanted Asia heading and Al wanted Europe…Al
kept working guys off the back. I would swing to Africa or something and so go
Al go. I agree with K0SR, S9SS was the biggest pileup on 20. I was shocked I
got him in 2-3 calls. I will really miss working Charlie in the dx contests.
What a great operator.
All weekend I was hoping to work Tony KM0O ie:XU7MWA. I heard just a whisper a
few times on 40 meters, no luck. Then on 20 the last 15 minutes after K0RC spot
and had a S4 signal and huge pile up. No luck…Sorry Tony maybe at your next DX
adventure.

All in all we had a great time. We beat our last year score by 400K points. All
the hardware and software worked great. TRLog rules in my book.

Congrats to all the great scores out there. And my xyl says “And I know what
you are NOT doing next weekend.”

So I’ll see you all on 160. Vry 73 Dave KT0R