[3830] CQWW CW VY2TT(K6LA) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 30 15:41:37 EST 2006

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VY2TT
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: VY2TT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: PEI

  160:  361    14       54
   80:  687    19       74
   40: 1183    29       98
   20: 1179    27       90
   15: 1094    25       79
   10:   71    15       34

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was the 1st time I operated Phone SS from VY2. As a result, I had a number
of extra days to get things ready for CQWW CW and everything was ready and
working a full 3 days before the contest. So it figures that about minutes
before the contest started, as I was warming up a frequency on 40m, the 40m
yagi seemed to disappear. I've had some problems with the antenna switch relays
sticking, so I ran to the switch and changed ports for the 40m antenna. Ran back
to the shack. Didn't fix the problem. Flipped the contol switch a few times.
Started to work again. 1st QSO at 0004. In the middle of the night it happened
again, but didn't come back. I ran to the switch, pulled the antenna off and
put the SWR analyzer on it and it appeared the antenna had failed. I waited
until 8:30 AM and called Jamie, VY2JR, who does some climbing for me. He came
over and  swapped out the balun and jumper from the hardline. No joy. Meanwhile
I'm running hard on 15m and talking to him up the tower on the walkie-talkie and
running to check what the antenna looks like on the analyzer. Talk about
multi-tasking. Jamie comes down and just for kicks I try the antenna and it is
working. Never had another problem the whole contest.

I did again have the problem where Writelog changes CW speed whenever it feels
like.

I took a 3 hour nap early Sunday morning and felt great the rest of the day.

I've really got to figure out the multiplier finding technique from here. Even
though I hit the 2nd radio hard all the time, except perhaps when the rate hits
over 150, I just can't find the mults that I know are there.

In any event, it was great fun.

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT