[3830] CaQP N5DO SOFixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 9 11:47:26 EDT 2006

                    California QSO Party

Call: N5DO
Operator(s): N5DO
Station: N5DO

Class: SOFixed HP
QTH: TX

  160:
   80:   47     39
   15:   21     40
--------------------

My earliest sweep -- worked N6DE for Trinity at 2028Z on Saturday for the last
county.  I felt pretty good when I went to sleep after the first day -- I
thought that if I had a good Sunday I would have a great score.  Unfortunately
Sunday was painfully slow.  I had made some 15M contacts on Saturday, but on
Sunday I only squeaked out two 15M QSOs.  I could hear stations further east
working W6s, but I had only marginal conditions into California.

I usually operate low power, but thought I would go all out this time and
operate high power.  As always Murphy's Law prevailed.  I locked up the
computer three times, requiring a reboot.  The first time I corrupted the TRLog
file and had to reinstall the program.  That happened right at the end of the
first hour and took about 10 minutes to accomplish.  The second station I
worked after the reinstall came up with the old 3 digit county identifier -- so
I had to find the new .DOM file with the new California county codes and
reinstall it.  Of course, all this was happening during a wonderful run.  Then
about 20 minutes after I went to 15M a neighbor called to tell me that I was
interfering with their TV.  I was shocked -- it has been 25 years since I had
TVI (and my wife was watching TV in the next room with no problems).  We
quickly determined that the TVI was only on 15M and that it went away when I
turned the linear off so it was an easy quick fix, but it will require some
attention before the next time I try high power.  (I was debating going HP in
the CW Sweepstakes, but I think this has convinced me to stay LP!)

As always thanks to California for a wonderful QSO party with great activity --
and all the contacts in the NAQPs, Sprints, SS, etc.