[3830] CaQP W6XU SOFixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 15 09:49:21 EDT 2006

                    California QSO Party

Call: W6XU
Operator(s): W6XU
Station: W6XU

Class: SOFixed HP
QTH: SONO

  160:    0       0
   80:   53     104
   40:  253     319
   20:  257     447
   15:  164     239
   10:    0       0
    6:    0       4
    2:    0       2
--------------------

Club: Redwood Empire DX Association

Comments:

The biggest accomplishment for me was that an effort to improve my CW skills was
paying off. I practiced 10-15+ mins several days/week for the past couple of
months with RUFZXP. The result was running comfortably at 30-32 wpm (comfort
zone used to be 25), and for the first time never had anyone "blow me away"
such that I had to ask for multiple repeats or QRS as a result of their speed.
Plus seeing sustained rates over 120 Q/hr was a first. I can confidently say
that I've advanced from a mediocre CW op to solidly so-so!! I am eagerly
anticipating a personal best in SS CW next month.

Watching N6BV operate during Field Day was inspirational as always. I was very
impressed by how he simply ticks off the Q's over and over and over, calmly
with mechanical precision. Always relaxed, but never losing focus, racking up
the big numbers. With that in mind, I kept my butt planted for all 24 hrs and
felt pretty good about it.

I had hoped to break 2,000 Q's, but fell short. I expected big numbers Sat. eve
on 40m phone, but conditions never panned out. I also spent time on phone, even
though rates were good on CW, based on the strategy that I should work phone
while conditions support it... as things degrade I can move to CW. This was
probably a bad choice and I should have spent more time on CW. Although I did
work MT 6 times, all on phone!

As always one of my favorite contests and a really good time. It was
particularly enjoyable as I had been off the air for awhile.

73,
Josh W6XU