[3830] CQWW SSB K0TV M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 29 21:38:02 EST 2006

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K0TV
Operator(s): K1BG, K1HI, K2TE, KB1NEF, N1ICE, NE1B, W6ZF, WA1LY, WO1N, K0TV
Station: K0TV

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: New Hampshire

  160:   52    10       25
   80:  451    22       93
   40:  221    26       92
   20:  896    32      132
   15:  534    26      109
   10:   97    14       32

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

After having no power failures here for a few years, we had two major power
failures in the last two weeks. The first one had a tree catch on fire and
require the fire department to come and put out the fire in the tree. We had a
power failure for 3 ½ hours on Saturday afternoon. I brought the station up on
generator and after doing some soul searching, we decided to run the amps
anyway. Luckily everything was alright and we were able to continue without
commercial mains until the power was restored. I spent the last hour wondering
when the generator was going to run out of gas. Luckily it never did and we
went back to commercial mains without having to re-fuel.

Just before the start of the contest, we had a relay failure that caused the 15
meter stack to show a very high SWR. We got that fixed and were able to get the
stack online.

75 meters was absolutely wonderful this year. We’ve never done better on this
band. The additional radials on the four square really did the trick.

At one point, the 40 meter operator was complaining about having low output and
difficulty working other stations. The problem we found was the wrong boom
microphone plugged into the radio. The live mike was the one on the headset
lying on the desk next to the radio, not the one on the operator’s head.

We had a new team member this year who had never operated a contest before.
After spending some time listening he got up the courage to get into a chair
and operate. With some coaching, cajoling, and criticism he got into a groove
and was having a ball. I think we’ve got a new convert. Please welcome KB1NEF
to the contesting fraternity. Now all Rich needs to do is get his code up and he
can play in the CW contests too. He’s missing more than half the fun without
the CW weekends.

W1VE’s new live score reporting web site was loads of fun to watch while we
operated. We enjoyed the real time competition as the scores climbed. It was
quite a horse race wondering who would end up on top. We’ll really know when
the scores come out after the UBNs tell the tale.

Good luck to everyone and we’re looking forward to the CW weekend in four
weeks.

For Team K0TV,

Jerry