[3830] CQWW SSB VE6CNU SOSB/20 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 29 23:24:46 EST 2006

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE6CNU
Operator(s): VE6CNU
Station: VE6CNU

Class: SOSB/20 LP
QTH:

   20:  611    26       69

Last year I did my first CQ WW SSB contest and did a LP SO/15m.  This year I
decided to tackle 20m and what a zoo!  I managed to almost double last year's
score by putting in more hours, improving my antenna from a TH3 to TH6, and
using my accumulated experience since then.  While I'm happy about the
progress, I can see there is still a lot more to learn about operating and
improving efficiency.

Friday night wasn't too bad for starters and by the time the band folded I had
made 130 QSOs.  I woke up early (5:15AM) on Saturday morning only to fill my
bandmap with new mults but not able to work anything.  All the signals sounded
like they had been put through a blender.  In the first 7 hours of operating I
had made only 35 Q's!  Then all of a sudden at noon local time, the band opened
to Europe.  In the late afternoon I ran JAs for a while and quit about 8pm, as
the band had pretty much folded up.  I decided to sleep in on Sunday morning
due to my bad experience the previous morning.  Of course I missed the opening
to Europe!  I didn't hear many JAs on Sunday, but this time South America
opened up pretty nicely.  I also ran a bunch of American stations at the rate
of about 1/min for quite a while at various times throughout the day.  The
mystery to me was that I never heard Australia or much of Scandinavia.  I was
also jealous of all the east coasters working Europe and Africa long before I
could.  Oh well, that's life.  Anyway I managed to put in a lot more time than
last year and it certainly helped.  Now to catch up on my laundry!

73 and CU all next time.

Jerry
VE6CNU