[3830] CQWW SSB W3YY SOAB(A) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 30 05:38:11 EST 2006

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W3YY
Operator(s): W3YY
Station: W3YY

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: VA

  160:    5     4        5
   80:   37    11       23
   40:   79    18       49
   20:   76    20       41
   15:   49     9       22
   10:   31    10       15

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

First chance to try out my new FT-2000 in a major phone contest environment.  It
did very well.  No problems with QRM from nearby stations and the receive audio
quality is very nice and transparent.  If the station you're listening to has
clean audio, he sounds great, and if he's over-modulating he doesn't sound so
good.  The FT-2000 doesn't add anything to the mix.

Main problem for me this weekend was the lack of current WriteLog support for
the FT-2000.  I'm sure they'll support this rig soon, but I fear not before the
fall contests are over.  As a result of not having a rig interface, I missed a
lot of the features I've grown used to, like clicking on spots and having the
rig automatically go to that frequency, having the log automatically updated
when I change bands, logging the exact frequency of each contact, etc.  This
made the assisted category A LOT less fun.  I felt like I spent my entire time
cranking VFO's around, especially on 40-meters.  I kept thinking, how did we
ever do this when there was no logging software, packet cluster, and rig's were
manually tuned?!

I tried W1VE's real-time scoreboard and that was fun.  The most interesting QSO
was with IO4T - while watching their operation on their real-time webcam!  I
would have asked the operator to wave, but it was a very weak 10-meter QSO.

73, Bob - W3YY