[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K1WHS Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Sep 12 13:47:26 EDT 2006

                    ARRL September VHF QSO Party

Call: K1WHS
Operator(s): K1DY W1SD WA1T N1DPM K9PW, WZ1V, K0DI, WW1M, KA2LIM, KU2A, N2CEI, N1LBI (COOK) BA1LY
Station: K1WHS

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: FN43MJ

  1.2:   79    32
  2.3:   64    29
  3.4:   48    25
  5.7:   41    25
  10G:   51    22
  24G:   10     6
-------------------
Total: 1460   385  Total Score = 1,049,125

Each VHF contest presents a different set of conditions and a unique array of
hardships. We lost the six meter KW amp and the 144 transverter went west on
Saturday. A strong weather front ripped things up Saturday evening. The 222
rotor gave up then. The clouds and winds during the front passge reminded me of
Judgement Day. We didn't know whether to run & hide or just stay put and recite
our prayers!! On the plus side, we kept plugging away and fixed what we could.
We ran some good WSJT skeds on six and two. There was no tropo or Es evident
all weekend. The bands were flat all the time. It was a time for dogged
persistence. My most interesting QSO was K1JCL in CT on 10 GHz just after the
front passed. If I aimed South of him the rainscatter was low pitched.
Boresight heading was T9 with no growling. Just North of the heading was higher
pitched rain scatter. That was quite a front!!