[3830] Claimed Score, K4BAI/M, 2007 GQP

ku8e at bellsouth.net ku8e at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 17 16:44:27 EDT 2007

K4BAI meant to post this with our score :

This year, Jeff, KU8E, set up his IC756Pro in the back seat of his car
and we had a Hustler whip and various resonators.  Jeff has discussed
how he got a capacitance hat from WX0B (I think) and used the 15M
resonator on 20M and improved the performance on 20.  We also had the
15M resonator (but never knew of any activity on that band), the 40M
resonator, and one for 80 CW.  Our plan was to work CW on 40 and 80
during thd day and to try SSB on 40 and 80 too.  The 20M antenna loaded
well on both CW and phone.  On 40, we could not load on 40 SSB the first
day and added a MFJ mobile tuner tuned for 40 SSB for Sunday.  We had an
old Compaq laptop that my daughter had used in college and a quiet
voltage inverter to provide power to the computer through the 110 volt
cord.  We used NA with the GQP module and it worked very well.  We had
to keep separate logs for each county and it took maybe a minute to
change from one county program to the next.  The battery in the computer
(if there is one) was kaput and we occasionally moved something and the
computer shut down and it took several minutes to get it back up.  We
did not use radio control since we didn't have a com port to Icom
interface.  We did use computer keying from the parallel port, which
worked well most of the time.  There were a few times when some cable
was loose and we had to find the trouble and fix it to resume computer
keying.  The op sat in the back seat and the driver sat in the front (of
course).  Each of us had a Heil headset on a splitter so the driver
could hear and help pick out calls or exchanges.  There was very little
noise in or from the car.  We did have a lot of power line noise at
times, but the NL in the Icom seemed to do a pretty good job keeping it
down.  For the four county run on Sunday morning that I did by myself
since Jeff was having to care for his three children while Jan was at
work until the babysitter came at 1800Z, I forgot to take the Heil Icom
adapater, so couldn't work SSB in those counties.  On Sat, we made 5 SSB
QSOs from the first county (Harris) on 20 and never could make another.
  It seemed that we couldn't find or hold a frequency on SSB after the
first try and no one asked us to go to SSB on 20.  At the request of
W8MJ, we did QSY to SSB on 40 twice, both times successfully and one
time also picked up N8II while there.  Otherwise, CW kept us so busy
that there was no point in trying SSB as we would just be losing QSOs
that we would otherwise have made on CW during that time.  The off times
were basically on Sunday morning when I drove between Jeff's and the
four counties and back.  Probably the rest were just a few minutes
between different counties, two gas fillup breaks, and maybe a few
bathroom breaks.  Except when pumping gas, we tried to keep one operator
on the radio at all times and ate fast food while driving.  We did stop
a lot to run counties when we got to a county line and there were
stations calling.  On the interstate (I-75), we did blow through several
counties without stopping in an effort to get to Taylor before the
contest ended.

With the storms, a missed turn or two, and the failure of the
babysitting solution for the first three hours Sunday, we did miss a few
of the counties we had counted on, notably SEMI in the far SW corner of
the state.  We did think that KN4Y or KC4HW would activate that one.
Our route on Sunday was shorter due to the delayed start, but that did
enable us to operate from two more northern counties that hadn't been
planned on.  Our routes were almost all changed due to the unanticipated
problems we had.

Thanks for all the support for GQP this year and for all the QSOs with
K4BAI/M.  QSLs may be sent to John Laney, K4BAI, PO Box 421, Columbus,
GA  31902 and you can include any QSLs for the Club Call, W4AN, in the
same envelope.

The summary to the 3830 reflector will be the last thing below and I
will first give a breakdown and some averages and mult information.

35 counties.  Most QSOs from RAND (95).  Fewest QSOs MERI (31).  Longest
time HARR (1:02).  Shortest time MERI (0:14).  Average QSOs per county:
  64.95.  Average time in county:  0:29.17.

Multipliers missed on CW:  RI, HI, ID, MT, AK, SD, MB, SK, AB, PEI, NT.
Multipliers worked on SSB: TX, MI, WV, IA, ON.

County  40 C  40 F  20 C  20 F  Total QSOs  CW M  SSB M  Score   Time
BAKR    80                      80          32           5,120   0:32
CALH    61                      61          27           3,294   0:23
CHAT    19          21          40          21           1,680   0:23
CLAY    46          20          66          26           3,432   0:31
COWE    34          10          44          21           1,848   0:19
CRAW    64                      64          22           2,816   0:21
CRIS    45          20          65          25           3,250   0:24
DECA    75                      75          27           4,050   0:24
DHTY    35          27          62          28           3,472   0:23
DOOL    49          19          68          26           3,536   0:25
EARL    61          20          81          27           4,374   0:41
GRAD    71                      71          28           3,976   0:23
HARR    53          20    5     78          22     3     3,775   1:02
HEAR    19          24          43          21           1,806   0:22
HOUS    34          19          53          23           2,438   0:19
LEE     46          26          72          27           3,888   0:31
MARI    51    2     27          80          27     2      4,698   0:38
MERI    31                      31          18           1,116   0:14
MILL    81                      81          30           4,860   0:47
MITC    83                      83          31           5,146   0:41
MUSC    40          18          58          26           3,016   0:26
PEAC    66                      66          23           3,036   0:19
QUIT    33          28          61          23           2,806   0:30
RAND    49          46          95          30           5,700   0:57
SCHL    31          22          53          24           2,675   0:24
STWT    43          26          69          27           3,726   0:27
SUMT    22          31          53          21           2,226   0:28
TAYL    59                      59          24           2,832   0:15
TERR    65                      65          27           3,510   0:30
THOM    69                      69          31           4,278   0:39
TLBT    30    1     48          79          31    1      5,181   0:37
TROU    56                      56          24           2,688   0:22
UPSO    60                      60          23           2,760   0:17
WEBS    71                      71          30           4,260   0:35
WORT    35          26          61          24           2,928   0:32
TOTAL 1767    3    498    5   2273          49    5    245,052  17:02

In typing these lists, I realize that I may have failed to break down
the CW QSOs between 40 and 20 in a couple of counties and show only the
total as having been made on 40.  So, if your log shows a 20M QSO in a
county not listed as being QRV on 20, don't worry about it.  This is not
an exact science and I don't have the log files with me at this time to
recheck a couple.

We worked a lot of DX stations on 20 in the daytime and on 40 at night.
  Thanks to all the DX for participating.  Here are the total QSOs per
DX station:

UT5UIA  7                   I apologize for errors.  Must run to lunch
UA3AGW  5                   now without taking time for proofreading.
DL3DXX 26                   again thanks to all for supporting GQP.
CU2JT  21                   73, John, K4BAI.
DL3GA  17
8P9NX   1
OK1AOV 11
OK1KT   5
LY2ZZ   6
HA3NU   3
OK1ACF  7
DL6KVA 10
PA3ARM 11
OK2EC   6
DL5MC   7
OQ5M    4
HA2MN   4
OK1CF   7
LZ4UU   4
DL4RX   2
OK1FP   1
DL8MLD  2
DL0ERF  4
IZ8FAV  1
WP4L    1
ON6SAS  1
EL2DX   1
I4IKW   3
YO4ATW  1
S51AP   1
DL5ME   2
YO3GCL  1
G0RTN   1
DF1IAQ  1
XE1AY   1

                     Georgia QSO Party

Call: K4BAI/M
Operator(s): K4BAI, KU8E
Station: KU8E/M

Class: Rover LP
QTH: 35 GA counties
Operating Time (hrs): 17:02

    80:     0    0
    15:     0    0
    10:     0    0
Total:  2265    8  CW Mults = 49  Ph Mults = 5  Total Score = 245,052

Club: South East Contest Club