[3830] NAQP CW N4GG Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 5 11:26:27 EDT 2007

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: N4GG
Operator(s): N4GG
Station: N4GG

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA

   10:    5     3
-------------------
Total:  837   173  Total Score = 144,801

Club: South East Contest Club

Team: Southern Comfort

Comments:

Bands and activity sounded good for August.  QRN levels were managable and
better than the prior two evenings.  Runs were not sustainable from this
station - both arms got tired as 50% or more was dual S&P.  The K9AY loop here
has BPFs for SO2R and saved me on the low bands.  Great to hear N9RV from MT
with a good signal - on wires?  Welcome to the club Pat.  Maybe a "wires in the
woods" team sometime?  Several dumb mistakes were made here as usual, and I must
have moved 30 guys to bands that were dead in their direction - sorry about
that.  You would think if I can hear VE3 on 15 that moving a VE4 to 15 would be
okay - wrong!  The left coast signals on 80 late at night were very good, and
getting called by W6NL on 160 for the CA mult was a highlight - TNX Dave.
Could not raise N2IC on 160 despite his Q5 signal here; as I stared at the
stone cold amplifiers.  Looks like another "just below top 10" finish.  Off
times remain a mystery to me in this contest.  I think I gave up 5% to
"strategy" and another 5% to my 10/15 antenna that is too crummy for decent
groundwave or any backscatter Qs.  Anybody in favor of making the August NAQPs
QRO?

FT-1000MPs w/Inrad, Writelog, homebrew SO2R box.  Wires in the woods: 10/15:
Dual band GP up 35 feet inside a leafy tree - a real performer in the summer!,
80M inverted vee at 75 ft used on 80 and 20 (SE-NW), 20M lazy-H - top wire at
75 feet - used on 20 (NE-SW) and 40 and 160 as a top hatted vertical, K9AY loop
- Gary, Thanks OM - life would be miserable here without that little antenna.

73, Hal, N4GG