[3830] NAQP CW N2NL(@K1PT) Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 5 18:37:31 EDT 2007

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: N2NL
Operator(s): N2NL
Station: K1PT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FL

Total:  969   215  Total Score = 208,335

Club: Florida Contest Group

Team: FCG #1

Comments:

Like my last NAQP from Florida three years ago, this was a marathon effort -
leave Key West at 3:30AM, drive up to K1PT's place, get set up, operate the
contest, tear down, and drive back.  This time I was smart - I had my family
come up and we had a hotel room in Ft Lauderdale, so I could get some sleep
before hitting the overseas highway back home.  I got to the room at 3:30AM,
went to bed, and was promptly woken when my work cell phone rang.  I ended up
not sleeping, having to spend the early morning on the phone with some urgent
USCG related stuff.  I arrived home at 6PM with about an hour of sleep in the
last 36 - and it was all worth it!

Paul, K1PT, and Pidge, KD1BG, have been amazing hosts to me over the past
several years and this was my first contest from their place since my two-year
hiatus in California.  As usual, Paul had everything set up and working for one
station, with me bringing my rig to set up for SO2R.  We ran into some problems
with the Six Pak box - it turned out that his 80m vertical had been hit by
lightning at some point in the recent past - and it burned a trace on the
circuit board.  We got everything working with a few limitations, none of which
had a major affect my final score.

I made the decision to start on 10m, with the idea that guys would take a spin
across an apparent dead band at the start and never return.  That was a smart
decision, and I made 90% of my 10m QSO's in the first 5 minutes.  The band was
open to the north, but not many were home.  15 was marginal as it usually is,
but I seemed to have better propagation than other parts of the country.  I
should have adjusted more of my off time for later; everyone starting on the
lower bands earlier made it for a slow end to the contest once I had run out of
guys to work.

A big thanks to all those who moved for me - I successfully moved a ton of
multipliers.  Special kudos to W4OC - whom I moved from his run QRG on 80 to
160.  He then moved me successfully to 10, surprising me that I could hear him
at 11PM local.  I then moved him to 15m for three mults I otherwise would have
missed.

Nice job by Steve, N2IC, from NM.  The west is usually is at a disadvantage in
August, and I'm sure he would have blown me away if he had access to the same
propagation I had.  Also to W9RE - dang - what a nice job with a broken arm!
Not many would have the dedication to stick it out.  Wow!

73, Dave N2NL