[3830] NAQP CW WI9WI Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Aug 6 00:07:15 EDT 2007

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: WI9WI
Operator(s): WI9WI
Station: WI9WI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WI

   10:    2     2
-------------------
Total:  616   166  Total Score = 102,256

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team: SMC #3

Comments:

My first serious effort ever in this one. Started out with my first mistake.
When I got to the cabin (250 miles from home) I discovered that I didn't have a
couple of needed cables in my SO2R box (I keep my decoders, filters and SO2R box
in it...I don't leave any gear at the cabin except a few PS and a very heavy
amp....too mnny breakins in the area), so I was limited to one radio. I'm not a
very good SO2R op but I can usually find some Qs and a few needed mults on the
second radio. Otherwise it was a learning experience, I've only operated
casually in this contest before, so I didn't think much about strategy before.
The bands in northern WI were as others have noted. Only 2 Qs on 10 in spite of
checking it several times each hour and wasting some time calling CQ. Fifteen
yielded more mults than expected, but closed very early. Twenty was hot, and
the low bands very noisy. Lots of repeats on the low bands.

Good activity, and lots of fun overall.

Gear: IC-765
160: inv L
80: inv V at 80 ft