[3830] WAE CW ZS6AA Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Aug 13 04:58:04 EDT 2007

                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: ZS6AA
Operator(s): ZS6AA
Station: ZS6AA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Johannesburg

   80:    1     0     1
   40:   76    57    26
   20:  360   454    39
   15:  254   195    31
   10:   16     0    11
-------------------------
Total:  707   706   108  Total Score = 344,772

Had a good go despite family committments which kept me away on Saturday morning
and Sunday afternoon. My first WAEDC, and most enjoyable it was. QTCs certainly
add to the fun - especially since it's th EU ops who have to copy them, while
us DX ops can relax and let the software do the work!

I worked SO1R since my second radio seems to have a sensitivity problem - I
suspect I've fried a preamp transistor or something :)

Conditions were surprisingly good on 15m, although the propagation came and
went in waves - one moment I'd have a pileup, the next be on my own. I even
managed a few on 10m around 1000Z on Sunday thanks to UU5A who convinced me to
give it a try and then spotted me there - grateful thanks to the Crimean
Contest Club operator! 20m was also working well although closed quite early on
both days. I had poor results on 40m, probably due to my relatively poor antenna
on this band, as well as QRM in EU. Especially on Sunday morning, when I sat for
2 hours from 2am to 4am local time for only 10 QSOs. Grrrr.

It was a real pleasure to work with so many very competant ops - it was great
to witness the skill with which the EU stations copied my QTCs. I'll have to
try this contest from EU some day. Thanks to the organisers and all the
contestants for making this a fun event. 73 and CU in CQWW CW and again in EUDC
next year.

Radio:    Kenwood TS-850S
Antennas: F12 C-31XR at 18m, 40m dipole
Software: WriteLog for Windows